Sign board

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
maineshops
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home built

Sign board

Post by maineshops »

What kind of plastic signboard is used on the Cnc for engraving,cutting,? Where do you get it? Tx Dan

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Sign board

Post by Leo »

What are you planning to make?
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Thanks Leo .....We make templates for ma,s quilting machine. Simply a 1/4 inch board 10in wide x 8 ft long that has a 1/8x18dp grove cut in it in a floral pattern that she follows with a spring loaded styalist . We use 2 4ft long pieces and tile it. Our supplier went out of buesniss and our source went away. I think it is axpanded pvc or abs or? Other material may work as well.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Your best bet would be to do a google search & find a sign supply Company, there are a lot of different types of plastic board that may do what you want & they would be able to advise you better. Sounds like you just need something like Foamex (trade name) but as I am in the UK any supplier I might suggest might be a bit expensive on delivery costs :lol: :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Have no idea what you've been paying for your sign board material, but how about 1/4"x4x8 sheet of HDPE? Menards has sheets for $64.99, you could get 4 templates per sheet. https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 093579.htm
John
Maker of Chips

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

+1 on the HDPE. Tough and flexible. And if you buy the natural it is translucent. I would think a thinner sheet would be better around 1/8 or 1/16.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

highpockets wrote:Have no idea what you've been paying for your sign board material, but how about 1/4"x4x8 sheet of HDPE? Menards has sheets for $64.99, you could get 4 templates per sheet. https://www.menards.com/main/building-m ... 093579.htm
If he is using the type of foam PVC that signmakers tend to use a lot then I would guess between a quarter to a third of that price John :lol: :lol:

Foamex is a closed cell expanded PVC, I would agree with you that HDPE would be a better choice of material & you could use a thinner size. HIPS (HIGH IMPACT POLYSTYRENE) would probably also be a better choice of material if I understand the use, again more expensive but could use a thinner sheet :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I am thinking something like Azek PVC. Similar to HDPE. Either should be OK. Acrylic sheet would also be good, but perhaps not as easy to get.

I buy a fair amount from Johnson Plastics dot com

Usually when someone references "signboard" - I think HDU - or High Density Urethane. Brand names like SignFoam are HDU. I do not think that would be good for what I believe you are describing.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

maineshops
Vectric Craftsman

Post by maineshops »

Thanks for the suggestions group. I’ll be near a lows store tomorrow and I’ll stop in

Jim_Nestor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jim_Nestor »

This stuff at big orange works for me
Jim
Attachments
5645FD19-3CFA-446F-B608-7499FB4036F8.png

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Do be aware of the expansion/contraction rate for various "plastic" type products that might be used for this purpose. Many of them can move a LOT with changes in temperature. That might not be what's desired for any kind of template for something that needs to be precise.