V bit setup

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
monlover
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Omnitech 4X8 with 8 tool

V bit setup

Post by monlover »

Hi,
this is a very soft wood, Masonite 3/16 thick and the drawing will be using Vbit 90 Deg and depth will be almost 1/16
but I guess the 15000 rpm is too much.
please take a look at the setup and advice.
Thank you. :D
Attachments
diagrams.png

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: V bit setup

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I know 700 IPM would be way too fast for my machine. Start at 60 IPM, then 120, then 180, etc.

I tend to set my plunge rate thee same as my feed rate.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

One important bit of info you left out is the size of your project, from your profile your stock could be 4 foot wide BUT it could also be 4 inches wide :lol: :lol:
regardless though that is quite a complex carve & slowing the feedrate down will make a big difference. Slow the speed accordingly & start low as has been suggested.
A coat of sanding sealer an also help with chip out, if your carving 1/16" deep then it might be worth thinning the sanding sealer down so it penetrates deeper into the wood. This can help hold the fibres together & prevent chip out

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

While your Omnitech can certainly drive this bit at 700 ipm, you most likely won't be able to achieve those speeds because of the many starts and stops. 15,000 RPM may even be a bit slow if it actually achieved 700 ipm. My machine is similar to yours (same manufacturer, just re-badged) and I normally run this bit around 250-300 ipm with spindle speed around 12,000 rpm in MDF, which is simlar hardness. Set your z-feedrate to a similar number. Remember that the sharp tip of the bit is actually moving pretty slowly compared to the wings, so don't overburden it.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost