little advice please

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Cncrouterparts CPR2448

little advice please

Post by Makingtoothpicks »

I am not an artist. I would like some input about color. I have attached 2 pictures.
One in 3 colors and 1 in black and natural wood. What in your opinion looks better.
This project is 13X5 in size. I used masking paper to isolate the areas.

Thank You
Don
Attachments
Sign Red Black Green.jpg
All Black.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: little advice please

Post by Adrian »

Red and green should never be seen as the saying goes. I prefer the plain one but if you wanted a bit of colour just the green with the Open being in black would be nice.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I agree with Adrian, with the addition that I would use a less complex font for OPEN. Too many curlicues makes it hard to read quickly.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

Adrian wrote:Red and green should never be seen as the saying goes. I prefer the plain one but if you wanted a bit of colour just the green with the Open being in black would be nice.
Ok I will remove the red and it will be Black and Green.

thank you

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

FixitMike wrote:I agree with Adrian, with the addition that I would use a less complex font for OPEN. Too many curlicues makes it hard to read quickly.
I sometimes get carried away. I was looking to get a medieval look. haha

It is already cut so I cannot change it. I could make another one.

thank you
Don

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

Where is the sign going and what is it's purpose? If it's purely for decorative purposes for one's in-home bar then the colors aren't an issue especially since they are separated by the black divider line. If it's for a bar then the "Open" font needs to be changed to something less busy. Also, if for a bar how far from the street will it be? One of my pet peeves about stores is not being able to read their signs when they use the worlds smallest/tiniest letters and numbers in addition to having them in some color that screams at you but doesn't let you see the word.

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

Savannahdan wrote:Where is the sign going and what is it's purpose? If it's purely for decorative purposes for one's in-home bar then the colors aren't an issue especially since they are separated by the black divider line. If it's for a bar then the "Open" font needs to be changed to something less busy. Also, if for a bar how far from the street will it be? One of my pet peeves about stores is not being able to read their signs when they use the worlds smallest/tiniest letters and numbers in addition to having them in some color that screams at you but doesn't let you see the word.
It is for a friend and for a home bar. its 5.5 x 13 x .5. It will be viewed close up and does not need to
be seen from a street or outside view.

Thank You
Don

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Adrian wrote:Red and green should never be seen as the saying goes. I prefer the plain one but if you wanted a bit of colour just the green with the Open being in black would be nice.
I only partly agree with that old saying, I think with the right design & the right shade of each colour they can look very good together, having said that it is not a combination I have used myself :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would be inclined to do what Adrian & Mike have said, How easy things are to read is something that you do need to think about with most business type signs (if this is for a business)where some sort of imformation is being given to the customer, in this case the fact that they are open :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just about to post this & couldn't because Savannahdan had posted while I was typing, he makes a very good point about viewing distance, I have a chart on the workshop wall with letters at various heights so customers can get an idea how easy text is to read from different distances :lol: :lol:
Fast food take aways are a good example over here in the UK, they put a full menu with prices on a board fitted to the wall behind the counter, half the time the text is so small you can't read it from where you stand & you can't get any closer :lol: :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

if it is for your friends home bar then I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the font & re cutting it Don :lol: :lol: :lol:

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

martin54 wrote:if it is for your friends home bar then I wouldn't go to the trouble of changing the font & re cutting it Don :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes it is for private use. It will be on his home made bar out doors.It is a small set up by a pool.
I am also going to make some coasters and I like the Becki beer float project.

Thank You
Don

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I think it also depends on the season. Red and green seem to be popular during the Christmas holidays.
Steve

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

My vote is for the black lettering on the natural wood background.
I think it is more contrasting.
Good work BTW.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

Makingtoothpicks
Vectric Wizard

I painted it today and am waiting for the paint to dry or the grass to grow.
What ever comes first.

Don