Tool path preview detail

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Tool path preview detail

Post by jamin35008 »

Hi all,

I have a question about the tool path preview.

I’m working on a clock that has a roadmap with a lake in the center. I’m adding a compass rose to it as well. I’m working in Desktop. The clock is going to be about 24” round and the center portion where the map is has a diameter of around 13 – 14”. The compass rose is enclosed in a 3” circle within the 13-14” circle. When I go to preview the tool paths for the compass it shows very little detail like the 20* v bit I’m using is too big for the carve.

I tried coping and pasting the compass in a new 3”X3” project and running the same tool paths and previews and it came out perfect. Am I losing the detail in the clock preview because of the scale of the compass compared to the clock? Will it carve on the clock just as clean as in the 3”x3” area?

Sorry I don’t have photos. I’m at work. I will try and show examples when I get home.

Thanks!
Ben

StuC
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC

Re: Tool path preview detail

Post by StuC »

Hi Ben,

What you will be seeing here is an effect of the preview simulation quality. When the toolpath you are previewing takes up the full model (like when you made the new 3"x3" model) the preview there gets the full simulation resolution. If your toolpath is a smaller portion of the whole model size then it will only be using a fraction of that resolution.

Raising the preview simulation quality will mean that toolpaths which only cover a much smaller part of the model will have more resolution available to them. If you turn the simulation quality right up you should be able to see this in the full model.

Note: The simulation from the 3"x3" model will be the most accurate as it uses the full simulation resolution so this is how it would carve even if the quality setting means you don't see this detail in the full model.

Hope this helps,
Stu

jamin35008
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead 1010

Post by jamin35008 »

StuC wrote:Hi Ben,

What you will be seeing here is an effect of the preview simulation quality. When the toolpath you are previewing takes up the full model (like when you made the new 3"x3" model) the preview there gets the full simulation resolution. If your toolpath is a smaller portion of the whole model size then it will only be using a fraction of that resolution.

Raising the preview simulation quality will mean that toolpaths which only cover a much smaller part of the model will have more resolution available to them. If you turn the simulation quality right up you should be able to see this in the full model.

Note: The simulation from the 3"x3" model will be the most accurate as it uses the full simulation resolution so this is how it would carve even if the quality setting means you don't see this detail in the full model.

Hope this helps,
Stu
This is great news Stu! Thank you very much for the information! Is raising the resolution done in the settings of the program or on the preview tool path section somewhere?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

It's in the Toolpaths menu under Preview Simulation Quality.