Any way to carve two faces?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Any way to carve two faces?

Post by wb9tpg »

I'm interesting in carving this corner post. How can I carve one side, turn it 90 degrees and then carve the next side? I don't have rotary capability on my machine. Is it possible?
neokist17_master(1).jpg
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

chip clark
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8 Pro+

Re: Any way to carve two faces?

Post by chip clark »

The post would be square..?

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

chip clark wrote:The post would be square..?
Yes, I suppose I could use a jig to hold it at 45 degrees but I'd like the ability to undercut that cutting 2 sides would give me.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Well, I don't know about rotating it. I have reservations about that.

BUT

What I can see is fixturing it so that the corner is straight up pointed to the ceiling, then carving the entire feather into the post in one shot.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ok, I do not want to come across as an old curmudgeon here, but. . . .

Sometimes we decide to do things with our cnc machines that are more easily done on another machine or by hand (Lord Forbid!!!)

That is mostly a standard relief carving as Leo has mentioned. Fiddling around fixturing, rotating, programming to try to get some undercuts is a PITA IMHO. I would carve it from the front as Leo said and then I would get out the carving chisels and put those undercuts into the piece in about 10 minutes. I do that quite a bit on the carvings I do to make the shadow lines nice and crisp. Undercutting is one of the easiest things to do when manual carving.

Edit: You would also have to carve it from the corner anyway because the front details have the same problem as the undercuts.

Something I really enjoy doing when I have the time is to just rough something out really close to finish, like about .05 or .06 close and then finish up with hand tools. The best part of hand carving is adding details, hogging out? Let a machine do it.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

TReischl wrote:Ok, I do not want to come across as an old curmudgeon here, but. . . .

Sometimes we decide to do things with our cnc machines that are more easily done on another machine or by hand (Lord Forbid!!!)

That is mostly a standard relief carving as Leo has mentioned. Fiddling around fixturing, rotating, programming to try to get some undercuts is a PITA IMHO. I would carve it from the front as Leo said and then I would get out the carving chisels and put those undercuts into the piece in about 10 minutes. I do that quite a bit on the carvings I do to make the shadow lines nice and crisp. Undercutting is one of the easiest things to do when manual carving.

Edit: You would also have to carve it from the corner anyway because the front details have the same problem as the undercuts.

Something I really enjoy doing when I have the time is to just rough something out really close to finish, like about .05 or .06 close and then finish up with hand tools. The best part of hand carving is adding details, hogging out? Let a machine do it.
Good points.... I've always been over analytical
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Import the model, and carve one face a little deeper than half way down.
Then rotate the model 90°, and do it again.

Your stock dimensions, and XY location are critical.

Another option is to make a fixture to hold it at 45° and machine it that way.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

How I would do it is Slice the model, in your case maybe down the corner, or just the head and body from the rest of the model I use Netfabb, but I think there's some free software available. You may have to do a double-sided cut. Here's a couple of examples I've done.

Gary
Attachments
face 1.JPG
head 1.JPG

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I would create a fixture by cutting a "V" into my Spoilboard and bracing supports on either side to hold the block of wood (4x4 probably best) where one of the corners is face up pointing to the ceiling. Of course I would NOT be able to make one that BIG because my machine only has a 7" Z-axis travel. But by receding one corner into my spoilboard increases my machines capability of more Z-axis travel. I may even cut a bit off the corner that is to be carved to give the machine a little more Z-Axis travel!

A few notes to point out -

1.) you would need a CNC machine which has a lot of Z-axis travel because of the increased distance when the block of wood is turned on corner to corner (distance is greater).
2.) if you want it that big you will also need a machine that has a lot of Z-axis travel.
3.) using a fixture on the spoilboard decreases the allowable Z-axis travel thereby leaving less room for carving movement of the Z-axis.

But anyhow in my case it would be somewhat of a smaller model carved using the above noted fixture method.

Just some thoughts and how I may approach this with my machine capabilities!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:I would create a fixture by cutting a "V" into my Spoilboard and bracing supports on either side to hold the block of wood (4x4 probably best) where one of the corners is face up pointing to the ceiling. Of course I would NOT be able to make one that BIG because my machine only has a 7" Z-axis travel. But by receding one corner into my spoilboard increases my machines capability of more Z-axis travel. I may even cut a bit off the corner that is to be carved to give the machine a little more Z-Axis travel!

A few notes to point out -

1.) you would need a CNC machine which has a lot of Z-axis travel because of the increased distance when the block of wood is turned on corner to corner (distance is greater).
2.) if you want it that big you will also need a machine that has a lot of Z-axis travel.
3.) using a fixture on the spoilboard decreases the allowable Z-axis travel thereby leaving less room for carving movement of the Z-axis.

But anyhow in my case it would be somewhat of a smaller model carved using the above noted fixture method.

Just some thoughts and how I may approach this with my machine capabilities!

Sharkcutup
Or if you only had 21/4" clearance under your gantry like me then it would be a much smaller carving :lol: :lol: Maybe suitable for a dolls house !!

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I might consider slicing the square post in half at the 45-degree angle (bandsaw and jig). That way, the part would sit flat on the machine bed (with the corner up) and the Z would be significantly reduced.

A caveat would be when gluing the halves back together you have a slightly “off” square due to material missing from the saw kerf. But - that might not be noticeable.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

mtylerfl wrote:I might consider slicing the square post in half at the 45-degree angle (bandsaw and jig). That way, the part would sit flat on the machine bed (with the corner up) and the Z would be significantly reduced.

A caveat would be when gluing the halves back together you have a slightly “off” square due to material missing from the saw kerf. But - that might not be noticeable.
Yes, Interesting points Michael an idea which would reduce the Z-Axis significantly as you say, point well taken and I admit I missed it! My vision was so concentrated on using the 'whole' block of material. In fact, you know you could probably mount it in that corner if need be without having to glue the halves together. I guess it is all in what the use of the end product would be used for!

In fact, after looking at the image again it looks as if it was originally machined like you say Michael because there are plugs where it looks like it is mounted in that particular corner. I admit too I did not notice the plugs the first time I reviewed that image.

Just a response and thoughts!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard

Post by wb9tpg »

sharkcutup wrote:
mtylerfl wrote: In fact, after looking at the image again it looks as if it was originally machined like you say Michael because there are plugs where it looks like it is mounted in that particular corner. I admit too I did not notice the plugs the first time I reviewed that image.
Pegged Mortise and Tenon joints
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

I'll through in my two cents.

The post as stated is mortise and tenon for the stringers.

The post has an alcove (for want of a better work) carved in it. From the picture it looks like the figure insert is possibly in to parts, the part behind the figure is carved separate from the figurine and lastly the figurine is carved and attached to the back piece and then attached to the post. This is common practice with furniture with detailed carvings. The apprentice would create the post and the master carver would create the figurine. It also would allow for reworking the carving in case of a carving whoops.
John
Maker of Chips

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

highpockets wrote:I'll through in my two cents.

The post as stated is mortise and tenon for the stringers.

The post has an alcove (for want of a better work) carved in it. From the picture it looks like the figure insert is possibly in to parts, the part behind the figure is carved separate from the figurine and lastly the figurine is carved and attached to the back piece and then attached to the post. This is common practice with furniture with detailed carvings. The apprentice would create the post and the master carver would create the figurine. It also would allow for reworking the carving in case of a carving whoops.
Makes a lot of sense (cents) there highpockets!!!

So there you have it wb9tpg several explanations and several different ways to tackle the task at hand should one desire to do so.

Be sure to post your progress on this forum and thread. The members here on this forum would definitely be interested in hearing/seeing your progress and the finished carving!

Good Luck,
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554