Securing stock for rotary machining

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
PeterM
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan

Securing stock for rotary machining

Post by PeterM »

Hello,
I'm using VCarve Pro V9.5 and am somewhat new to creating rotary machining tool paths....

I am trying to machine some handrail fittings and have some 1" dowels attached at the ends of the model (see attached screenshot) to allow for proper machining.
The issue I have is that in VCarve Pro, in the machining simulation, it appears that the very ends of the dowels are being machined in the Z direction which is not the desired effect. I'd like the dowels to still be securely connected to the oversized stock that will be mounted in my CNC. Would anyone have a suggestion as to fix this issue?
Thanks,
Peter
Attachments
Handrail Fittings.png

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Securing stock for rotary machining

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Would anyone have a suggestion as to fix this issue?
Use vectors to control what will and won't be machined. When you generate the rough or finish 3D toolpath choose machining Limit Boundary/Selected Vectors

With Vectors
ControlVectors01.PNG
ControlVectors02.PNG
Without
NoControlVectors.PNG
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

PeterM
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Artisan

Re: Securing stock for rotary machining

Post by PeterM »

Okay - Brilliant!
Thanks for that. I saw that option but was confused on how to do that. I was thrown off by the fact that when I select my whole model in 2D that it turns a different color (very dark) than I usually see when selecting just one line (magenta). After creating an appropriately sized rectangle and selecting it and the model in 2D everything works properly!
Best,
Peter