Two sided carve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
baydream
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Two sided carve

Post by baydream »

If I start a 2 sided project, import a file, then copy to other side, is there a way to combine the two sides? It’d be kind of like importing a 3D object but combining two sides to create a 3D object.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Two sided carve

Post by garylmast »

On a double sided setup, if you only want to import one side, after centering the model, make sure your Zero Plane slider is to the bottom or how thick you want the model, and the Create Both Sides is unchecked. Once you accept it, copy to other side, and it will be already combined. It would be the same if you used a clipart and copied to the other side, it would be combined, but also a duplicate face. I guess that's what you were asking.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG

baydream
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Post by baydream »

Thanks for your reply, but that is not what I’m trying to do. I am importing a single sided object (2-1/2 d, not 3D). I want to make a two sided object by copying to the other side, then combining them. I am importing one of the files for a fish that is in the Vectric clip art.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Why do you need to "combine" them? Does "combine" mean that you need them to become one model? If so, for what purpose?

The reason I am asking is that the whole point of two sided machining is to produce a carving that is 3D. There is no need that I can see for the models to be combined.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

baydream wrote:Thanks for your reply, but that is not what I’m trying to do. I am importing a single sided object (2-1/2 d, not 3D). I want to make a two sided object by copying to the other side, then combining them. I am importing one of the files for a fish that is in the Vectric clip art.
It's not necessary to combine them...I've used that exact graphic as well as others to create two sided holiday ornaments. Setup with guide holes on the centerline so you can flip it and as you state, use "copy to other side" to get an exact mirrored version on the back side. You'll want to create a vector boundary so you can do the cutout after the final carving process. The only other thing necessary is to be mindful of the thickness of the graphic you are using relative to the material you're cutting on and adjust the model location appropriately to get the result you desire. Sometimes this requires 'flattening' the model slightly and sometimes it's just about position relative to the surface of the material.