Identify Font

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Identify Font

Post by carbidetooth »

Does anyone recognize this font? I'd like to get it right on the nose, but close may have to do. I come up empty in Windows standard fare, and also looked at Signfonts.com which gets me closer but not right on.
Thanks for any help y'all can offer.
Overland Lumber.jpg

ezurick

Re: Identify Font

Post by ezurick »

The closest I come to on the "what font is this" websites is jackrunner otf.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

One thing to remember is that Font's are often manipulated for sign work so finding something that matches 100% just by typing a line of text is a bit of a long shot. Most signmakers will have to at least alter the kerning to some degree especially if it is a large sign, one exception might be if it was a font that had been optimised for signmaking to start with BUT the signmaker doing the job would still have to have that particular font :lol: :lol:

Finding the right shaped letters is the most important part really, the rest can be changed quite easily.

Letterheads site is always a good place to ask this sort of question as someone will normally tell you not only which font it is but also how it has been changed. :lol: :lol:

Just to add, don't know if it was you that took the picture but when taking pictures of signs try to get as square on to them as possible, makes it so much easier to reproduce. If it's the customer then ask them to take a picture square on & explain why. If you have the right software you can straighten it yourself now but still easier to start with a square on photo.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Letterheads fonts will have something at least REALLY close.

I sure does look like it was edited by the signmaker - so an exact match may not be possible

It's all about how it was carved on the sign also. Looks like it was pocketed a little and that may not be in the font itself.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

baker519

Post by baker519 »

Looking at the sign the top is a different font than the bottom. Look for western, cowboy, rio grande, fonts and you will find some similar to both the top and bottom.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

baker519 wrote:Looking at the sign the top is a different font than the bottom. Look for western, cowboy, rio grande, fonts and you will find some similar to both the top and bottom.

You could be right but it is difficult to tell for sure, the top has had at least one effect added could very easily be more than one, the top also looks like it has been stretched which will also create differences :lol: :lol: :lol:

carbidetooth
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre Pro 408

Post by carbidetooth »

Thanks all.

I didn't know about Letterheads Fonts, I'll check it out. I eventually figured out it was a western, country, Americana sort of thing and found one close enough. Named Country Western, of course! And I learned a new word...kerning. Maybe some day I can use that in a sentence, my English teacher mother would be proud!

The photo was cropped from a Google Maps street view, so I can't take any credit for taker's orientation.

Best regards, Peter

Jim_Nestor
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Jim_Nestor »

Give them a call, find out who made their sign, call them and ask about font
Jim

https://www.finduslocal.com/building-ma ... and-lumber