AXIOM AR6 24X36

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jgstang
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: iconic 2015

AXIOM AR6 24X36

Post by jgstang »

Does anybody here have any opinions on this machine, I've been using the ICONIC 2015 which is a 20x15 work area and really like it but have a chance to pick this axiom 24x36 work area.. thanks

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: AXIOM AR6 24X36

Post by TReischl »

Well yea, we all have opinions. And that is all they are, opinions.

I don't even put much credence in the opinions of a person who owns or has a certain machine. They could have a terrible opinion because they got a lemon or were not willing to put the effort in to learn. Or they could love the machine all to death but in reality it is dog, but it does what they want.

IMHO there are two important things when purchasing a machine, accuracy/repeatability and speed. Unless you are building parts for SpaceX rockets most machines these days are sufficiently accurate/repeatable for wood working. Folks will argue back and forth about ball screw vs rack and pinion until the cows come home. Simply put, if you do not need speed then ballscrews are just fine. The pundits will start bloviating about gears, anti backlash nuts on and on. So, get the specs and figure that the machine will probably do a little better, only fools publish specs that are on the bleeding edge.

Now me? I don't buy machines. First off I like being able to easily modify mine, second I know how it works and how to fix it, third I am not locked into a compromise arrived at by a committee. And that is what retail machines are, a compromise reached by a committee. On one hand the engineers want to build a good machine, on the other hand the sales guys want a machine with every feature known to man at bargain basement prices. That is just the way it is.

Oh, and did I mention? A machine can easily be built that will perform as well or even better than many machines being sold for a lot less dollars. As far as machines go, these are simple things.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jgstang
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: iconic 2015

Post by jgstang »

ok I hear you and understand I think... I was looking more for, I like it better than the shark or whatever because for what it is its great for the price! but I know what your saying. my son is into computers and does not buy from say best-buy... he gets the parts he wants and puts it together to make the right one.. but thanks

Steve Misher
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR4

Post by Steve Misher »

Best suggestion I would make is to go to the Axiom Forum and ask the same question. The people there will tell you what they think of their machines. Some love them, some hate them and others are learning how to use the machine for the first time
I have a AR4 24x24 and love it. Depending on what you intend to do with the machine and the budget you have, will help you decide on what to buy.
I do some production work, but I don't need to cut at 200 to 400 ipm. The machine I have will cut at 200 ipm, but I have never gone over 120 ipm.