Snack Bowl Project

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Snack Bowl Project

Post by SteveNelson46 »

martin54 wrote:Martin:
It wouldn't upload for me either so I just posted a shared link. I think the file is too big for the forum limit.

Yes file limit would be the problem, I was in a bit of a hurry as I was going out, never stopped to think that it was a link you posted & not the actual file, I blame it on old age :oops: :oops:
Martin,
Me too. I had to try it twice before I realized it was over the limit.
Steve

cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Post by cusoak »

I just downloaded the second file post and does come up fine the profile of all of the bits are there.
When I click on one of the bits it turns red. So I assume that I copy and paste to a new file and the select the right half and use that to create the new tool in the tool file.?
Now back to the right bit to buy.
It will need to be larger that the collett in dia. correct?.
If I am going to cut to a depth 1.5" will I need a bit with a longer shank so that it will cut deep enough so that the router does not bottom out on the top of the material?
Jeff

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Steve in the box that you posted here what brand and model number did you use of box core bit to cut the pockets.
Thanks Jeff

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There is nothing special about a core box bit. Sometimes it's even called a bull nose bit so any core box bit from any source will work. I think the one I used came from Woodcraft. Even bits from Home Depot are okay. However, quality may be an issue.

To create the bit from the bit profiles file you don't need to cut and paste to a new file. Just zoom in close, cut the vector at the mid point and use the right half. Don't save when you close the file. Be sure to check the size against the actual bit for accuracy.
Steve

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Another way to create a bit profile is to take a picture of the actual bit and import it into Aspire. Use the line drawing tools to trace around the perimeter then resize the vector to the actual size of the bit. Use the right half to create the bit profile in the database. Keep in mind that undercuts will not work so be sure to keep the arcs within limits For example, this will not work for a point round-over profile.
Attachments
Bit Profile Example.jpg
Steve

cusoak
Vectric Wizard

Post by cusoak »

Thanks for your help
Jeff