Two display stands to be made

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Two display stands to be made

Post by scottp55 »

HAD an Plan of my work flow for the next week.....WRONG :D

My Brother's 2 children visited for the first time in 5 years(15 yr old girl, and 10 yr old boy now), and Uncle Scott made the HUGE mistake of letting them pick one wood Piece each :oops:
BOTH are 3D's, and I like to dedicate gifts,add the wood species,sign,date,etc.
Coulda done it with my normal pen, but NOooo.....Scott wants a stand so I don't ruin the grain on one, and make the other to hang on the boy's wall.

NOT surprised the 15yr old Girl chose the Big Leaf Maple 5A quilted Heart Stand I made for Dad that I MUCKED up the depth of the stand so the Heart didn't fit, so it was a Reject that was just pretty :oops:
6.30.19 MAYBE HEART WALNUT1.jpg
THEN I told her I thought I'd carve a hole in the center for a Tourmaline crystal....BUT her eye kept straying to a fantasy cut Aquamarine resting in a Birch Burl display stand nearby a friend had cut.
She got the Aqua:( :(
6.30.19 MAYBE HEART WALNUT  SQUIRREL MAPLE1.jpg
Think this piece of Black Walnut will be nice if I radius the edge, carve a .05" deep circular pocket for the Maple, and then carve dedication info in the Pocket.
Maybe some Fluted pockets, or ring dowels if enough room after rounding over.

Surprised at Nikola's (yes, named after Tesla:)choice of the "Ural Squirrel" I did in Cherry :)
Got a couple choices there....but probably a Sugar Maple back with a teardrop cutout for hanging on the wall, maybe find the Boundary vector from that Squirrel, and do VERY shallow pocket.
Thinking about brass escutcheon pins with the heads snipped off going through the to cut throughs in Squirrel.
6.30.19 SQUIRREL HOLES.jpg
Jury is still out on Niko's....better cut before T-Storms shut me down:)

I make MORE work for myself, than anyone else could possibly do :D
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Re: Two display stands to be made

Post by scottp55 »

Didn't wind up using ANY of the 3 pieces I'd picked for the "Ural Squirrel" Stand :)
DID surface the back of the one Black Walnut branch I kinda liked...surely come in handy someplace to do the front side.
6.30.19 MAYBE SQUIRREL STAND JIGGING2.jpg
6.30.19 MAYBE SQUIRREL STAND BACK SIDE.jpg
Was moving some surfaced wood from last week, and DUH!....
One of the Wormy/Split Walnut I surfaced on both sides WAS wide enough AND all sapwood for the critter:)

10 year old boy.....SHOULD like a piece of wood that grosses my Mom out :D
6.28.19 BLACK WALNUT 1 WORMY AND SPLIT1.jpg
6.28.19 BLACK WALNUT 1 WORMY AND SPLIT2.jpg
6.28.19 BLACK WALNUT 1 WORMY AND SPLIT4.jpg
Got the backside personalized, and then mucked it up a little by tracing the radius of his sister's Big Leaf Maple piece....setting scroll saw to 25* and cutting the arc.
Set stationary belt sander to 30* and took to 400G on the line.
Because one side has bark, and the other doesn't.....the centered radius LOOKS wrong :(
Freehanded it a little, and it's better, but needs some more.
SHOULD have freehanded the whole thing to be more organic:(

I'll look through my small stones, and see if there's one that looks good in the Pest Hole, if not, then move squirrel up to cover the hole.
Then trim base to look balanced whichever way I go on the tablesaw, and sand end grain to 600G.
Two brass escutcheon pins, going through the two holes in the squirrel model will hold him steady when the wood is vertical.

But Wait...There's More..... :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

30 degree Onsrud Engraving with a .005" flat.
7.5.19 SQUIRREL WORMY WALNUT 4.jpg
7.5.19 SQUIRREL WORMY WALNUT 3.jpg
7.5.19 SQUIRREL WORMY WALNUT 2.jpg
7.5.19 SQUIRREL WORMY WALNUT 1.jpg
Hers is coming, but I MUCKED UP the pocket size by entering a transposed digit when entering Drillman1's Kyocera .125"BN :evil:
Had to dish it so now it's a pedestal in a dish, but that's for tomorrow am after expanding the pocket cut more is finished cutting.
7.5.19 SAGE STAND WITH EXTRA EIGHTH.jpg
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

I could use a little snow right now!! :D :D
Thanks for the pic Brian:)
Ural Squirrel from Brian.png
Come to the beautiful crisp coast of Maine.....It's only 92F and muggy as Heck right now! :)
Mainer's ain't built for it:)
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

On the boy's Wormy Walnut Squirrel Stand, been hand sanding to try to fair the scroll saw cut in better while his Sister's Stand is cutting a "rescue cut".
220-600G dry,
7.6.09 WORMY WALNUT STAND 1.jpg
then 1 coat of Linseed/beeswax "butter" wet sanded at 600G.
7.6.09 WORMY WALNUT STAND 2.jpg
7.6.09 WORMY WALNUT STAND 3.jpg
Liking it a little better now...Feels good!
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Racing projected heavy thunderstorms in 2 hours(?).
Initial Pocket was too big because of transposed numbers in a new tool,
SO expanded the Diameter of the .06" deep Pocket yesterday.
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 1.jpg
Today started the Pocket that holds the Maple again,went .03" deeper and went nominal and then crept up on it twice with negative Pocket Allowance until it felt perfect, then cut again at.04" deep using Lin/Wax Butter so slurry would fill pores and cut a shade smoother.
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 2.jpg
Mind you Thunderstorm were Supposed to begin in45 minutes before they changed it....BUT I still RUSHED a little "Gem Pocket" to go under the Maple figuring that fantasy cut Aquamarine would not ALWAYS stay a 15 yr old girl's favorite. Like I said...Rushed :oops: ....BUT it fits :)
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 3.jpg
JUST started the oval Dish from Clipart I used to rescue this Stand. Looks good in Preview anyways.
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 4.jpg
Using the 3" .25" shank Chinese .25mmR TBN on a Finish toolpath, BUT I cheated my Z-Zero up .01", and then I'll cover the Dish with Butter...Nudge my Z-Zero down that .01"...and cut it again wet.

Watching the clouds, and shutting down music so I can hear thunder....SHOULD be able to get both 1:15:00 cuts done before shutting down...fingers crossed!!
IF the last 3D cut is close to finishing....I may just yank the plug and let the UPS power finish the cut...BUT never done that with the spindle running, so it will have to be almost finished!!
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

I beat the Thunderstorms and shut down 20 minutes before the light show started :)
Funny, power didn't blip During storm here, but other close supercells shut me and 18,000 others close by down from 6-10pm:)
Didn't take any pics of the first Finish path, just the Butter coated second .01" lower REAL Finish pass;
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 5.jpg
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 6.jpg
Plenty of slurry to rub into pores,and to wet sand briefly with 600G;
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 7.jpg
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 8.jpg
7.6.09 WALNUT STAND 9.jpg
Sat in front of fan all night once power returned, and will be ready for the faster drying resin mix this afternoon....
pushing the finish as they catch a 6am flight out of Boston for San Francisco on the 10'th!
Now time to engrave in that center piece/flip and sign with machine and make pockets for punched leather circles.
Clear skies and cooler/drier today :D

WOW...maybe another cuppa first....I dated the pics a decade ago!! :oops:
(Aah...started dating wrong yesterday when rushing around, and just didn't notice when resizing these) caffeine level is sufficient now:)
R.N.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

Scott, your work is timeless so no worries on the date.
It all looks amazing so far!
Hoping for an update soon. :wink:
Maker of sawdust

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Ed!
NEEDED that remark after finding out, that even though I called my Mother to confirm spelling of his name....she was in a store with a bad cell connection...and I had her repeat it twice and wrote it down..AND repeated it back.....SOMEHOW I MISSED the "S" at the end of "Nicolas" :oops: :oops: :oops:
He's always called Nico, and they pronounce the "S" silently, and live across the country, and my brother and I aren't the writing types.

You should have seen my face when Mom said "It's Beautiful...But where/s the "S" ?" :oops: :oops: :oops: :(
7.5.19 SQUIRREL WORMY WALNUT 3.jpg
Seeing as it's a double Live Edge piece, and I scrollsawed to Y,0 piece off....been headscratching since Monday night how to reregister it :?
SO...The rush is off, and I'll have to ship it! Took the whole day off yesterday, and just let the last coat dry 2 days, which isn't crazy as I was pushing the finish a little,
I was also worried about the finish bleeding out in the unpressurized baggage compartment!
Gives me time to pocket out a "Secret" acorn size hole behind Nico's Squirrel :)

DID carve the tiny Vladimir Script in the front pocket of hers, and did it the same way I do my faint signature.
Z-Zeroed as normal, then Nudged my Z-Zero up .01" and cut, then Nudged down .003" at a time(twice), until it looked "Delicate" but all characters were carved legibly.
For certain stuff, I like the Looks better.
7.6.19 WALNUT STAND 10 POCKET FONT.jpg
Got the leather circles cut for the bottom, but I thinned my resin mix a little for better control of the build up/gloss , and hers needs at least one more coat before I pocket cut the circles for the leather, Goop them in and place on granite for leveling.

HOPING that now the RUSH factor is gone..MAYBE I'll Stop making mistakes :)

Thanks again for comment....VERY good timing Ed! :)
scott
R.N.

Mobius
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CRP Pro 4848 Custom Build

Post by Mobius »

The squirrel is beautiful.... but that maple heart !!!!!!
Connor Bredin
Distinctive Dimensional Concepts Ltd.
www.distinctive-concepts.ca

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Yep Connor...I sat there with my Pilot Precise V5 extra fine pen I use(after experimenting with a BUNCH of pens) for signing small stuff....
And I just couldn't bear to mar the grain on the back of that one.
11.2.18 SCRAP FINISH  BACK.jpg
Therefore the stands :)

Western Big Leaf Maple(all mine is from one Oregon tree imported with a Claro tree for a rich guys library) can be pretty amazing!!
The guy had the trees cut to spec by a hardwood shop here, and when he was done with the library it was theirs to sell. I rolled in to buy some Cherry, and saw a whole wall of the Maple they had out for a guitar maker who was supposed to show with a check the day before to take his pick..but he never showed.
I had money back then and bought ALL of it :D

Needless to say this 22 yr old stash was sparingly used except for the long slabs in the greenhouse(which need TLC after all the sun and heat).
I thought it a perfect use for my Dad's Heart Stand, but mucked up the dimensions so the River Red Gum Heart didn't fit :oops:
FUN seeing it come out of that scrap my carpenters tested the sharpness and pressure needed with the hollow chisel mortiser!

Best description I've ever heard is "It looks like boiling Maple Syrup" :)
I"M DARN sure what I want to make with it before I cut it.................
Attachments
11.2.18 SCRAP QUILTED WITH HOLE.jpg
11.2.18 SCRAP ROUGHED HOLE ALMOST GONE.jpg
11.2.18 SCRAP QUILTED FINISH CUT BRUSHED OUT.jpg
11.2.18 SCRAP FINISH HOLE VISIBLE.jpg
11.2.18 SCRAP FINISH  FRONT.jpg
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

START with 150G, or you'll have small tearout from the larger grits!!
(must have sanded my computer shelf half an hour before I realized I was tearing the fibers as I went:(
Beautiful wood we Rarely see here because of shipping :(

Glad I bought it when I Had money :)
https://nwtimber.com/figured-lumber/map ... species=93

https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/m ... descending

Before I went into one of those places, I'd adhere to the rule used for the Tucson Gem Show...
"Either go with a million bucks in your pocket, OR Stoney Broke....Otherwise you'll drive yourself insane trying to choose!!" :)
Attachments
COMPUTER SHELF BACK.jpg
COMPUTER SHELF THIRSTY.jpg
SW 9INCH 1.jpg
SW 12 INCH 1.jpg
SW 12 INCH 2.jpg
R.N.

phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Post by phill05 »

Hi Scott,

You have me drooling over your keyboard shelf, this is one thing I am going to have to make once I can find some real nice wood like yours, by the way did you make the squirrel file or buy it.

Phill
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Phil,
I TRULY lucked into that Quilted at the right time and place,and now I too can only drool over figured slabs. Lucky I bought stuff when I saw it when building the house and was thinking shelves when house was done! Just took measurements, and not counting live edge, it finished out as 34.5X14X1.4 inches. PM me if you'd like the file as a starting point. Warning, I STUNK at files back then!
Seems to me that maybe a cutoff of a slab with solid knots, and even a split you could full depth butterfly wedge and be able to partially carve away, and then maybe some Zank VInlay would certainly make any piece "Special" AND easier and cheaper to find? By the time you finish with it, YOU'LL certainly feel it Special! :)
I wouldn't go thinner that the 1.4inch thickness though..people constantly grab the far end and push/lift to see how rugged it is because of the cantilever!
Can't tell you how nice it is to push away, and pull towards you when cutting and designing!!

On the "Squirrel", Had to look back in my e-mails to December....
2019-07-15 07_24_56-27newstyle27 sent a message about 3D model stl CNC 3d Relief Model STL Router 3 ax.jpg
2019-07-15 07_34_39-27newstyle sent a message about 3D model stl CNC 3d Relief Model STL Router 3 ax.jpg
It WAS 27newstyle on E-Bay, BUT it looks like he got tired of people ripping off his designs and selling them for $2.

Looks like he's gone from 3D designer, invested some bucks for 925Silver casting, and has changed into a Maker. I'll miss his work,got a lot of nice detailed models from him,
but can certainly see his point with current state and pricing of most EBay models.

Pretty sure if you look on EBay you'll find it for $1.50-2.00 USD.......Maybe contact him directly and buy it???

scott
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

DID manage to find some cool machine time yesterday, and do some Small Font on the back of her Walnut Stand.
Onsrud 30degree Engraving bit with a .005" flat, but on signature had to describe it as .001" flat for the Vladimir Script font....Played with the Z-Zero on both scripts to get the effect I wanted.

GOING to get some Serious flack about the "Amish", BUT Dad made a friend of an Amish woodworker in Easton,Maine, and when we needed 500bf of Black Walnut for our Limestone,Maine machine(And 500bf each of Cherry and sugar Maple), Jonas contacted a family member who had cut down on his property/sawn/stored in barn some NICE Walnut! :)
Both kid's had been to Jonas's shop a few times before going into The Woods fishing with Dad....both were IMPRESSED by a shop with NO electricity(and the horses and buggys:)
SOoo.....I explained that this Walnut came from Jonas, and immediately got back "OH..It's Amish Black Walnut!!"
Who am I to argue with a 15 yr old :D :D

Maybe 2 more coats, and then I can "Household Goop" the .15" leather into the .07" pockets, level it on the granite kitchen countertops overnite, and then apply Linseed/Beeswax to the leather to darken and toughen it a bit.
7.14.19 WALNUT STAND 11 BACK.jpg
Now to go into shop and see if I can jig up His Stand, and get a piece of wood that I cut off the Y,0 end and hand sanded, AND has 2 live edges so I can add that PITA "S" to Nicolas :oops:
Don't EVER try to get a decent spelling IF the other person has a LOUSY cell connection!!
Repeated twice, then repeated back to her, and STILL got it Wrong!! :(
Attachments
7.14.19 WALNUT STAND 12 BACK.jpg
R.N.