Feature Request

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Feature Request

Post by Mikehell »

I want to see a "don't save settings as defaults" option. This setting could possibly save the life of the guy who set the 1/4" downcut bit to cut at an inch deep and 6ips.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Feature Request

Post by TReischl »

Mikehell wrote:I want to see a "don't save settings as defaults" option. This setting could possibly save the life of the guy who set the 1/4" downcut bit to cut at an inch deep and 6ips.
Huh? If he set it that way he was already killed the first time he ran it. Keeping it from being saved as a default for that bit is not going to save his life.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

tomgardiner
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: FMT Patriot 4 x8

Post by tomgardiner »

How about starting each job with a saved blank file that contains what you most use. You can have toolpaths already with your common bits.
For instance if you are making melamine kitchen cabinets then you would have a blank kitchen file with the layers ready and labelled, the thickness and sheet size in the job dimensions, and toolpath for dadoes, drilling and cutting already associated to the appropriate layers.
Of course if you are do one offs in a variety stock this may not be helpful.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

TReischl wrote:
Mikehell wrote:I want to see a "don't save settings as defaults" option. This setting could possibly save the life of the guy who set the 1/4" downcut bit to cut at an inch deep and 6ips.
Huh? If he set it that way he was already killed the first time he ran it. Keeping it from being saved as a default for that bit is not going to save his life.
Save his life for me not choking him to death

There are times when, yeah, you can use those settings. Perhaps doing a quick pass on a piece that's already been cut to clean up edges or whatever.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Hmm...Not sure I totally understand, as all my bits in Database are set for my normal use on an intermediate wood(Sugar Maple)...and then in toolpath using "Edit" for special stuff.

Perhaps doing separate categories(as shown) for special circumstances like Drilling and Finish passing?
different category, same bits.jpg
Usually arrived at by testing, and don't want to keep remembering them. Usually Very different settings than normal cutting.

The only time I edit the actual Database is when dialing in a new bit...everything else is editing tool parameters in the toolpath.
Like I said...probably not understanding it, as I haven't even finished first cuppa:)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Mikehell »

scottp55 wrote:Hmm...Not sure I totally understand, as all my bits in Database are set for my normal use on an intermediate wood(Sugar Maple)...and then in toolpath using "Edit" for special stuff.

Perhaps doing separate categories(as shown) for special circumstances like Drilling and Finish passing?
different category, same bits.jpg
Usually arrived at by testing, and don't want to keep remembering them. Usually Very different settings than normal cutting.

The only time I edit the actual Database is when dialing in a new bit...everything else is editing tool parameters in the toolpath.
Like I said...probably not understanding it, as I haven't even finished first cuppa:)
scott
In a perfect world, where there's only one person using the machine, this works. But get multiple people who have different styles of working, and it all goes to hell. I'm the main user. I do things one way. The other guy does things differently. Boss man does it another way.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Sub-Category= MIKE's BITS DNFW! :D

You have my sympathy!
You should try making protyping files on my machine, and then e-mailing them to an identical machine 250 Miles North, where the operator KNEW he could cut them faster!
THEN ship them here for my Finisher to Finish(She REFUSED to try to finish them 50% of the time...finish time was about 3 times the amount on my cuts).
TOTAL amount of time to go from rough to finished product for sale was Key....NOT machining time.

Yep....One man shop=one Boss :D
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

I am thinking there is a way around this problem in Windows.

Something like each person logs in as their own user and they install the software they run under their account. I am not a Windows guru but it seems to me there is a way to do it. Or it could be that the software is installed in one place but then under different users it gets info for each user. Maybe someone familiar with this sort of thing will chime in.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns