Recessed panel

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Phil
Vectric Wizard

Recessed panel

Post by Phil »

I'm building a table to support a TV for a client. The table has two drawers. The client asked for detail on the drawer fronts similar to what is shown in the attached photo. Since the drawers will be small, 5" x 14", there isn't enough room for that much detail. I'm looking for a V-carve suggestion that could simulate the detail. Also attached is a Sketchup drawing of the design of the table.

Thanks,

Phil
Attachments
Door.jpeg
Console.png

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Recessed panel

Post by dealguy11 »

You can certainly do this in Vcarve, though I'm not very fond of the look of the molding sticking out above the face of the door. That would be a lot more cutting and the result wouldn't look that nice. I'd make a more normal door with the molding profile in the recess.

This can be done with the pocketing and moulding toolpaths, with a profile toolpath to clean it up. I normally try to provide an explanation, but in this case I'll just give you a file that is similar to what you're looking for. I don't know if this is the exact profile, but it's something we've used in the past. To change it, you can modify the profile, change the depth of the pocket if necessary and recalculate the moulding toolpath. Because the drawer is not tall, I used the normal furniture/cabinet convention of reducing the width of the rails on short drawers -- in this case, the stiles are 2 1/4" and the rails are 1 1/2".

Enjoy!
Attachments
Door example.crv
(146 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Phil

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Post by dealguy11 »

Phil - I left out one vector and one toolpath in that example, sorry. Need to clean up the top of the step. Here it is again with that included.
Attachments
Door example.crv
(189.5 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost