Branches, Firewood, and "Found" wood

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
phill05
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Hybrid re-build

Re: Branches, Firewood, and "Found" wood

Post by phill05 »

scottp55 wrote:Thanks Dwayne!
I was about to ask if people were bored with all this simple CNC surfacing(some no doubt are:)..so your comment was nicely timed!!
:(
scott
Nothing simple in what you do and not bored with any of your work keep it up Scott
A person who works with his hands, his brain and his heart is an artist"
—Louis Nizer

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks for the Second Phill!
I guess those that Are bored will just have to eliminate my posts :D
I do love to yak when I get going on wood......The Critters are lousy conversationalists :D
Although when the tree finally twisted and fell....and I had to SAW my way out....I THINK the Mallards chuckled :)
8.21.19 RED SHOULDER HAWK 1.jpg
8.24.19 FAWN TWINS 2.jpg
Just jigged a similar piece of Maple...fingers crossed I get lucky again!
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Post by mark-s »

Love the old hippie in oak,nice job Scott.
mark-s

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Figures you Liked the Oak Mark :)
Pleasantly surprised with that one considering the piece of old Oak firewood it came from:)
4.22.19 OAK FIREWOOD.jpg
4.22.19 OAK CUTOFF DAY 1 1.jpg
Wasn't quite so lucky yet with yesterday's second piece.
Thought I could get a good angle on the whole piece at once, BUT stopped the cut so I can cut the branch crotch separately after I saw that section off.
Cont............too many pics for 1 post now,adding right after this;
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Not anywhere NEAR the figure of the similar piece seen on last pictures on page 1....but still not finished with it:)

Not a finish depth, and still 2.75" thick.
8.27.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2  1 JIGGING.jpg
8.27.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2  2 STOPPED DEPTH.jpg
Sawed the split off and got a clean cut on the base,
8.27.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2 3.jpg
but need to figure placement of the crotch cut so I can get a closer look at end grain before jigging that again.
Probably where this picture is cropped.
8.27.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2  4 PROBABLE SAW CUT.jpg
Probably all plain vanilla Sugar Maple from here on out, and just surfacing the back of the pieces so I can get them down to around 3" thick for smooth tablesaw cut on end grain(Freud cross cut finishing blade thin kerf leaves almost no sanding), AND good solid jigging for maybe some more In the Round 3Ds.
Nothing wrong with plain Thick Maple stock:)
Possibly something in the far right piece? (That will be a tough jigging to have that branch section on the bottom so I can cut the "Back" flat)
8.28.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCHES 2 , 1B. 3, 4.jpg
I find this stuff fun.......Simple mind=Simple pleasures :)
R.N.

WNC_Ed
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4 AXYZ 4010

Post by WNC_Ed »

I was about to ask if people were bored with all this simple CNC surfacing
Scott, never bored with any of your projects!
I always read and re-read every post - study the pictures and marvel at your talents and vision.
Please keep up the great work of sharing your adventures!
Maker of sawdust

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Much appreciated Ed! :)
Only surfaced the piece in the middle yesterday, but had to trim splits, so lost about 5"...as long as saw blade was freshly cleaned...decided to saw those crotch pieces as well.
That last crotch piece had some spalt:)
8.28.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2 AND 3 TRIMMED.jpg
8.28.19 SUGAR MAPLE BRANCH2  CUT SPALT.jpg
So this is what has been baked/surfaced/trimmed/and Linseed/beeswaxed (Added more wax to one batch to use on end grain to slow drying...maybe 35-40% wax now, and used heat gun to spread/melt in).
8.29.19 SUGAR MAPLE CUT AS OF TODAY.jpg
NEED to pay more attention to exact time in oven....BEEN going on the assumption a little longer at 160F(after 99minutes at 140F) would make sure fully heat soaked for bugs/larvae, BUT
way too much splitting:( Maybe thicker/multiple coatings and making sure it comes out after 90 minutes exactly will help(anchorseal gave same results even though slathered on).
SHOULD be dry enough to cut by late Winter/Spring..be NICE to have a choice between Black Walnut OR Sugar Maple to cut small critter branches :)

Probably trying to jig that far right log in last post to cut today...Cut the last two sections by hand to shorter lengths for baking
8.29.19 SUGAR MAPLE STILL TO CUT AND BAKE.jpg
...and Brian dragged 3 more Paper Birch(about same diameter as this last pic) sections to garage so I can cut. That Birch is still wet, and end splitting...it really can't dry with a full layer of the oily bark....Maybe some spalt by now?
8.5.19 SECOND PAPER BIRCH LOG 1.jpg
scott
Oh Dwayne...That last crotch piece stayed jigged through all that surfacing, BUT when I went to sand it while it was jigged, the vibration from sander and 150G made it come fully LOOSE!
In pic you can see that the wedge against the end was solid cherry....I did NOT pay attention to wedge I was grabbing:(
BBPly wedges hold much better against vibration due to alternating grain!
So much for good at jigging :)
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Couch is running out of room with the new Maple Branch.
Rearranging everything so took some pics of the 3 yr old Black Walnut branches fro my Aunt's tree layed flat;
8.31.19 WALNUT BRANCHES 3YRS OLD MINUS 4 PROJECTS.jpg
And then 2yr old Birdseye I "Borrowed" from "Libby's Camps" woodpile, plus 1 Oak firewood piece from Mom's pile;
8.31.19 LIBBYS FIREWOOD PLUS I OAK MOM.jpg
Maple branch just cut, had it's second coat on higher wax content Linseed/Beeswax mix is still scattered in house getting air...Maybe batch picture after last two small sections are ovened/surfaced.
NOT starting machine today...Housework and emptying Dust deputy and cleaning sawdust/chips the wheelchair has been dragging all over the house...takes precedence!! :)
(SOME MAPLE has very slight punk....SATURATING those pieces with multiple coats of a few mixes to compare results when cut)

DON'T believe I've ever had anything organized together and took a pic.
But then I've been known to have made two to three mistakes in my life :D

JUST bought a bunch of models yesterday....HOPING some will call to mind a particular piece of firewood!
scott

If you don't have unique pieces of wood in your stash...Hard to make a Unique piece:)
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Christmas pre-dawn started with a family of 3 bobcats cruising the beaver pond thin ice(blobs in Lousy low light pic:( which was a first in my life:)
12.25.19 BOBCAT FAMILY THREE 2.jpg
So felt like discovering what was inside some branches already cut into short sections for Critter(?) 3Ds because it's Simple/Fun/and toolpaths for each skim was :30-1:45, and easy to stop when my 3 visitors and multiple phone calls happened. FUN trying to see which end was Up...so I could surface the Back.
12.25.19 BRANCH VICTIMS.jpg
Started with 3 Sugar Maple sections that blew down last Winter(next post).
But was interrupted starting on Black Walnut branches from my Aunt's tree by a nice sunset....Christmas visitors and phone calls NOT recommended for efficient cutting :)
(as is critter watching and sunset inspecting:)
12.25.19 SUNSET BACKDOOR1.jpg
12.25.19 SUNSET BACKDOOR3.jpg
Maple pics next;
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Sugar Maple blown down trunk.
Maple 1 which need splits trimmed;
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 1 1.jpg
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 1 2.jpg
Maple 2 which will be 2 pieces;
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 2 1.jpg
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 2 2.jpg
Maple 3 which pic doesn't do justice and needs a "Butterfly Wedge";
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 3 1.jpg
12.25.19 SUGAR MAPLE 3 3.jpg
Walnut yesterday is next;
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

And the a Black Walnut branch that when unloaded from car, somehow got lost next to garage door where when snowdrifts melt...some water leaks in..so some spalt:)

Short spalt test cut 1(like it the best);
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT1 1.jpg
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT1 2.jpg

Walnut 2...no spalt, but predictable heart/sap line. But 50% of bark fell off in a straight line...trying to find a lengthwise model to take advantage of tight bark/bare wood;
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT2 1.jpg
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT2 2.jpg

Walnut 3..played with the spalt line when it was jigged. Wound up with .01" passes as the spalt figures changed so rapidly;
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT3 1.jpg
12.26.19 BLACK WALNUT3 2.jpg
Boring for some, but one of my most enjoyable tasks is making the blanks for cutting and cutting so back has some interest as well as the carving:)
Time to hunt for a couple more Critter models.
Once you see what you've got left to work with...it gives you more specific ideas than just the round...as you've narrowed down the options :)
scott
R.N.