Trying to replicate a 3d object cant upload photos

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
loopacrylics
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer

Trying to replicate a 3d object cant upload photos

Post by loopacrylics »

Hello I am trying to ask for advice as to how to replicate a 3d Object that I made. Its the horse Cantering_arabian Clipart that I made into a 3d model I have one that is able to stand up and it looks like it carved it from the inside out. The other looks like a traditional 3d object that sits flat. I am trying to figure out how to replicate the one that stands because I honestly did it by mistake. If anyone has any advice for me that would be tremendous. I am unable to post pictures. Anytime I click "add image" in the "Upload attachment" portion it just refreshes the page and deletes everything that I've written.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Trying to replicate a 3d object cant upload photos

Post by SteveNelson46 »

There are very few websites that are as good as this one. However, the requirements are that attachments have to be less than 2 mg in size. I think that a warning message should be displayed when attempting to upload a file larger than 2 mg but instead the results are what you are getting. As long as you abide by the rules you shouldn't have any problems.
Steve

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

I was able to attach an image. I am trying to replicate the horse that my finger is touching not the one on the table.
Attachments
befunky_layer(1).jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Looks like you have the model positioned at the top of the material (which was much thicker than the actual model) in the one that stands up whereas the the other one you positioned the model at the bottom of the material and/or the material was about the same thickness as the model.

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

Thank you Adrian, and Steve. Both of these answers really help me out. Is that not something that can be previewed? So for example if I wanted to do this horse that stands out of 2 inch thick material I would set it up so that the gap is above the material? And I would make the thickness of the model say 1.75"?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You would want the gap above model to be 0 to replicate the standing version. It will preview correctly.

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

I don't feel this is right. It seems to be cutting out like the other ones sitting flat.
Attachments
This is how I have it set up
This is how I have it set up

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

And this is what I want
Attachments
It cut it out from the inside out it seems like if I'm explaining that correctly (this is what I want)
It cut it out from the inside out it seems like if I'm explaining that correctly (this is what I want)

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

This is what I got from the program above.
Attachments
It is too thin to stand and it cut it out normally not inside out
It is too thin to stand and it cut it out normally not inside out

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

loopacrylics wrote:I don't feel this is right. It seems to be cutting out like the other ones sitting flat.
Your material thickness and model thickness are virtually the same. In the other pictures you posted there was a lot of material under the model so you either used thicker material or used a different model height.

The other possibility (it's really hard to tell from pictures of a clear material if this is so) is that the one that stands up isn't 3D at all and is a straight profile cut from the outside vector of the model.

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

I appreciate your patience with me Adrian, I am sorry I am such a noob!

Yes the one that is standing has a model thickness of about .6450 and the thickness of the material is .6800. However it cut out completely different then the other flat ones. (They cut out from the top of the model down where as this one started from the bottom of the model and went down.

I'll upload one more image maybe it will be a bit more clear.

No matter what I do I can only get the machine to cut it out like the one on the right. Notice how my finger sinks into the left? That's how it was cut out. Instead of the gap how would I make the machine cut it out like this?
Attachments
Is it possible this happened because I mirrored the model?
Is it possible this happened because I mirrored the model?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Ah right, that helps, couldn't see it with the clear material. You need to set the Combine mode to be subtract rather than add/merge (right click on the model name in the Component tree).

loopacrylics

Post by loopacrylics »

It was my fault I wish I was better at explaining. This solved it for me I'm sorry it was something so simple!
Thanks for all your help Adrian!!!!! :D