cant seem to open stl files

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jodaknifetool
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 500

cant seem to open stl files

Post by jodaknifetool »

Looked in forum but cant seem to open stl files that i got on ETSY. i have put them in their proper place and sawthem one time but after that the import feature doesnt even see the files yet they open in another program as stl files.

Bob Reda
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot 48x48 upgraded prt

Re: cant seem to open stl files

Post by Bob Reda »

What do you mean "can't see them?" In the program they will need to be imported and they will look like in cut 3d. (in blue with all the model info you will have to approve) In the model tab, you will need to export your working model into a file, usually named converted files, on you your computer and have to be linked to that.

Bob

jodaknifetool
Model of CNC Machine: X Carve 500

Post by jodaknifetool »

i go to import them as an stl but nope . vcarve wont open the file to see them. they are indeed stl files as I have inspected them . I can however open the siste jpg and it will show up. Just not the 3d stl

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Are you importing from the correct place? The import icon on the drawing tab won't import STL files. The one on the modelling tab will. If you're using the File menu option then make sure you're using the Import Component / 3D model option.

If you are using the correct import then you will most likely need to contact vectric (vectric@support.com) directly as you won't be able to upload the files legally here for people to check.

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Most stl models that are downloaded are in metric. If your setup is in inches, the import maybe either too big or too small to see on the material after you accepted it. Another problem is the position it was when you imported it, where it may be far off the material after you accept it. Always center the model and make sure the size is correct to the material setup.

Gary
Attachments
Capture.JPG