Can I add raised text to a V3m model?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Dbleot4
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark HD4

Can I add raised text to a V3m model?

Post by Dbleot4 »

I am using VCarve Pro and purchased the "Dad's Garage No.2" project files from Design and Make. I've added text on a curve, spaced it where I want it, but I want the text to be raised about .33" in height.

I've attempted a Pocket toolpath, a Profile toolpath, a VCarve engraving toolpath, changed Z Zero from Material Surface to Machine bed, altered heights below and above the model, clicked on "Project toolpath onto 3D model", etc....but I can not get the text to raise instead of being carved down into the base of the sign.

Any recommendations on how to do this (add raised text), or can I not alter the model because it is a V3m format and I am using VCarve Pro?

Thanks

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Can I add raised text to a V3m model?

Post by Adrian »

Depending on the available material on the model you might be able to create a vector around the banner part and select that with the text to create a pocket.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Can you post a picture?
John
Maker of Chips

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Here is a screenshot from the 2D tab.The base sign, and car are separate component files (V3M format). The text above and below the model is what I am attempting to carve as raised.
Attachments
2d screenshot.jpg

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Adrian wrote:Depending on the available material on the model you might be able to create a vector around the banner part and select that with the text to create a pocket.
Thanks Adrian...I've attempted that, but must have been doing it incorrectly because it still continued to engrave down rather than allow me to raise the text height.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Dbleot4 wrote:
Adrian wrote:Depending on the available material on the model you might be able to create a vector around the banner part and select that with the text to create a pocket.
Thanks Adrian...I've attempted that, but must have been doing it incorrectly because it still continued to engrave down rather than allow me to raise the text height.
You need to pocket around the text. You can't add material so you have to remove the material around the text to leave it raised.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said you need to leave the part where you want to put the text raised when you cut the 3D part of the project. You can do that by using vector boundaries when you do your 3D rough & finish toolpath. Inclued the text vectors as part of the boundry vectors :lol: :lol:

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

As has been said, you'll need to create a vector boundary around the text as well as the model in order to leave the area where the raised text will be standing proud. One other thing that needs to be done, in material setup make sure to set the Gap above model equal to the height of the raised letters.
Image 439.png
John
Maker of Chips

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Thanks! I will see if I understand it well enough to configure it correctly.

I appreciate the advice.

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Raised text.jpg
Thanks for the advice! Finally, got it to work..and yes, the key was adding the text within a vector box.

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

Wow...finally got back to this project, and have cut it out twice in foam with the same results..no letters. In the 3D view tab, the letters show a height of -.470, in the Toolpath preview it runs fine and carves the letters. BUT, in the 2D view tab, the letters show a height of 0..and that is the depth it gets cut to.

I have recreated the file four times and, of course, ran the toolpath preview several times and always get the same result.

Can anyone steer me towards a resolution?

Thanks

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Wow,, Your preview looks great.
I too am at a loss as to why it shouldn't carve that way.

Waiting to learn something..
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Can you post a screenshot of the final result after all the toolpaths have been cut? The picture you posted previously, was that the 3D view after you had run the toolpaths or the 3D view you get when designing??

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Is the order of the toolpaths the same in the simulation as in reality? All I can think is that the finishing toolpath is obliterating the letters.

Dbleot4

Post by Dbleot4 »

After Toolpaths .jpg
Hopefully the image shows properly. This is after all toolpaths have been run, but before eliminating the excess from the Profile cut.