jog rates from gcode?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hack613
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Various 6040, 3020, 2020

jog rates from gcode?

Post by hack613 »

I'm making some tool paths where I'd like to use 10ipm for the cut rate but for this job I'd like to have the job rate also 10ipm. Catch is my mach3 is set up to jog at 180ipm.

I can just temporarily reduce the jog rate from mach3 but is there a way to have the whole job done including jogging at a prescribed rate? so I don't have to muck with mach all the time?

hack613
Vectric Apprentice

Re: jog rates from gcode?

Post by hack613 »

In a nutshell I'm cutting foam with a hotwire and the machine will be engaged with the material between cuts so I want to conveniently roll back the jog rate from v-carve.

Is this doable or do I have to always change my base settings in mach, then change it back after these jobs?

Thanks in advance!

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

If I understand correctly, in the toolpath edit the tool and set the feed rate to 18 ipm.
Image 427.png
edit: VCarve has nothing to do with the "Jog" rates in Mach3. If you want to set the Jog rate in Mach3, press the Tab key to bring up the controller.
Last edited by highpockets on Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Maker of Chips

hack613
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hack613 »

Thanks!

I've been using that setting and that affects the rate of movement when cutting the material.

But when G00 (rapid) over the material it's not affected.

I can obviously go to mach and retune my motors for every job but that just seems a be excessive.

in mach there is a slider marked Rapid FRO but it seems to affect both the engaged and rapid rate...

So far the best thing I've come up with is to set the item you mentioned to 180ipm (since my machine rapids at 180ipm). then it's all the same and if I overide feed rate in mach it's all the same and I can tone it down to whatever...

Still seems a bit kludgey...

Any other thoughts?

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

There is nothing "kludgey" about how the program is written. G0 has operated the same way from day one, which is before I started in 1974.

What you could do, is set up a post processor to output G1 instead of G0 and use that post to run the files you want to the wire to "rapid" at "feedrate". Seems simple enough to do.

Look for this in the post processor file:

+---------------------------------------------------
+ Commands output for rapid moves
+---------------------------------------------------

begin RAPID_MOVE

"[N] G00 [X] [Y]"
"[N] G00 [Z]"

Make sure you save a backup of the original post you alter and save the new one off under a different name.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

hack613 wrote: in mach there is a slider marked Rapid FRO but it seems to affect both the engaged and rapid rate...
In General Config, Uncheck "Lock Rapid FRO to Feed FRO", and you'll be able to slow down rapids only.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

hack613
Vectric Apprentice

Post by hack613 »

Thanks everybody!

Those are two good solutions!

The post processor idea looks good as I can then just get rid of the rapids from my tool path.

Also the mach3/Config/General Config/Lock Rapid FRO and Feed FRO {uncheck} is a great solution too.