Feeds and Speeds

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Feeds and Speeds

Post by ken whiklo »

So I know this topic has been on many times, but I need some clarification
I am trying to understand this subject and have gone online and tried to use suggested chiploads in my calculations. None of them come anywhere near what my machine is capable of. I have a 24 X 24 desktop machine. The machine has a cast iron base and cast aluminum gantry. It weight 300 lbs. All ballscrews and the router is a Bosch 1617. Router speed is from 8000 to 25000 RPM . Top speed of my machine is 275 ipm
When I try to use the various chiploads suggested I get speeds that are many times what my machine is capable of.
Now I go on the Shopbot forum and the discussions there are more in line with what I can accomplish. Can someone clarify for me.
Thanks in advance.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Feeds and Speeds

Post by sharkcutup »

Do a search on this forum you will find a wealth of information on feed and speeds for it is a top topic here for many new and 'old' users alike.

Google for chip load charts. Every major bit manufacturer has them. It will give you a starting point but the actual feeds you can achieve depends on many factors unique to the individual machine/material/bit. As you notice there are many variables involved so there is no specific STANDARD. Every Feed and Speed is unique to the machine used, material hardness, and the particular bit used, not to mention others variables such as depth of carvings, bit step over percentage, etc..., etc..., etc...

Trial and Error is what each unique individual here has had to do because of the UNIQUENESS of each and every CNC setup. Granted it is a costly venture at the start but over time you will find what your unique CNC setup can and cannot do.

Good Luck and Let those chips fly!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

For less powerful machines a single flute bit is frequently the best fit. Examples for wood are:
Onsrud 40-000 series such as the 40-008, 48-000 series such as the 48-006

Examples for plastics and solid surface (Corian) are:
Onsrud 62-600 series such as the 62-622

Also, focus on what provides a good edge/finish quality on YOUR machine. A basic approach is to do some test cuts at various feed rates. Find the feed rate when the edge quality degrades, and then slow down by 10%.

Experiment with different speeds on the router (if applicable). The slower the RPM, the longer the bearings are going to last.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

I purchased a program called G-Wizard and you can do a trial download. I wish I could say I use it all the time, but I don't. But the 30 day "Free" trial will give you feel for some of the settings. When my paid year or expires I will not renew :( .