Cathederal Arch

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Cathederal Arch

Post by TReischl »

4DThinker wrote:
TReischl wrote:I would not use the one posted by 4DThinker (sorry 4D) or by Steve (sorry Steve). They both have variances in width going around the frame of about .08 which is quite a bit. I posted the images in my next post because 6 is the limit.
Not quite sure what you did to my vectors to declare them wrong, Ted. My external frame is constantly 1.5" wide. Created by drawing the outer perimeter then using a 1.5" offset to make the inner. The width of all my internal lower rectangles are the same. I didn't trace the drawing, but rather only used it to find the two relative widths used. My drawing is symmetrical as the right half is a mirrored copy of the left half. The peaks of all the arches are evenly spaced across the width. The arch widths are all the same as they started with one side and were offset to get the other side by the same amount. You appear to have stretched and scaled my vectors.

4D
4D: Something is whacky somewhere. Either in the Export EPS function from Aspire or the Import function in Corel. I exported your file a second time and got the same results, BUT, when I exported as DXF it came in correctly. I would think the same will apply to Steve's drawing also. I have never had this happen before, I regularly export/import back and forth between the two as EPS without any hitches. I am going to run an older version of Corel and see if I get the same results.

I used Corel because the dimensioning tools are far superior to what is available in Aspire.

This has me a bit worried.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

I worked with the issue 4D brought up. Here is what I discovered:

In Aspire when that outer boundary is selected and node edit mode is entered there are no control handles for the nodes on the end of the curve. If a node is added midway between the top and end of curve the top node moves over quite a bit. Moreover, the inserted node does not get any control handles.

If I add two nodes to the curve then it will export correctly.

So, that is why 4D's crv file did not import correctly into Corel. Apparently that curve is not a "curve" but a true "arc", for some reason Corel is not reading it. I am going to read the eps file.

Just compared eps files, from Aspire and from Corel. It looks like Aspire is incorrectly writing the location of the control handles for the curve. I say this because if I export that from Corel with the control handles as spec'd in Corel then the file comes in correctly in Aspire. In other words, it cannot be both ways, only one value can be correct.

This is not a huge deal because most of us do not draw an arc in Aspire and then export it to Corel. Usually most of us do our drawing in Corel and Import into Aspire.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Not sure about "most of us". I like Aspire/ Vcarve's current drawing tools and now always draw all my personal vectors in Aspire to save the need to import from another program. The drafting tools have gotten far better over the years since I started using them at version 4.0ish.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

4DThinker wrote:Not sure about "most of us". I like Aspire/ Vcarve's current drawing tools and now always draw all my personal vectors in Aspire to save the need to import from another program. The drafting tools have gotten far better over the years since I started using them at version 4.0ish.
I was speaking of those of us who do use Corel to do their design work. So to be clear I should have wrote:

"Those of us who use Corel for our design work typically do not draw an arc in Aspire and then export it to Corel."

The Vectric drawing tools are fine, they get the job done. However, they are not in the same class as programs like Corel or Adobe Illustrator. My ideal programming software would be an Adobe/Corel drawing front end with Vectric cam tools.

I am going to investigate what is going on further today. I really did not like what happened yesterday and there is a potential problem. The entire purpose of those files is to be able to move data between programs with accuracy and that is not happening.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I much prefer the vector drawing tools and smart snapping in the Vectric products as compared to CorelDraw, now.

I’ve been using CorelDraw since version 1.0, and DID used to use it for nearly all my drawing and layouts that were destined for either ArtCAM Pro or Vectric VCarve or Aspire - but I’ve found with all the improvements and features added to the Vectric products, I rarely use CorelDraw anymore as far as vector drawing is concerned.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

mtylerfl wrote:I much prefer the vector drawing tools and smart snapping in the Vectric products as compared to CorelDraw, now.

I’ve been using CorelDraw since version 1.0, and DID used to use it for nearly all my drawing and layouts that were destined for either ArtCAM Pro or Vectric VCarve or Aspire - but I’ve found with all the improvements and features added to the Vectric products, I rarely use CorelDraw anymore as far as vector drawing is concerned.
Same here as far as using Corel, since V1.0. Smart snapping is a great feature in Vectric products. A company called Ashlar had it already in the late 80's. I used it in a product they had called Vellum. Really liked it. Then their pricing became a bit too much for me. Why more CAD software does not implement smart snapping is beyond me. At any rate all of these products beat the heck out of drawing something on a piece of paper and then sitting around with a calculator manually writing a cnc program.

4DThinker
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro, Probotix Meteor 25" x 50"

Post by 4DThinker »

Just thought those interested might like to see how well the cathedral arch can look when cut one way from a solid block. A combination of Vcarve, Fluting, Profile, and Pocket toolpaths. I haven't actually cut this out, but this is the render created by Aspire. Enjoy.

4D
Attachments
Cathedral Arch 4D.jpg