Sign Board - HDU

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Mirion
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy

Re: Sign Board - HDU

Post by Mirion »

I recently received some nice sized free samples of a HDU product called Corafoam by Duna-USA in Texas. They are 11" x 11" in 15# and 20#, big enough to do some reasonable testing. There is a distributor here in Michigan called Grimco. Gonna try HDU for the first time myself. Below is the price from Grimco for 1" and 1-1/2" 15#. (4' x 8' only)

DUNA-15X84100 1" 48X96 DUNA 15# HDU $213.80
DUNA-15X84150 1 1/2" 48X96 DUNA 15# HDU $317

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Leo wrote:
ezurick wrote:
So does the Azek glue together well without having to finish the edges? My box store doesn't carry the Veranda.
Any of the PVC I have ever used, either Home Depot, Lowes, of from the sign supply store, it's all very similar, though the sign supply store stuff is a little better.

The surface is a nice smooth surface, but any cutting into it will reveal a coarse porous structure under the surface. That does not mean anything bad, but it does mean there will be the need for sanding and maybe filling the porous structure. Many ways to fill it, some people even suggest drywall mud. Epoxy resin is a possibility. REALLY thick coats of sign primer paint.

I have used Lords Epoxy to glue PVC to a variety of materials. The PVC will break before the EPOXY fails. I am sure about any good PVC cement will work well.
Good info. But I'd like to clarify... what I was asking is... can you purchase the Azek and glue them together right from the store, or do you have to plane the edges before glueing them... like wood?

I went to that Home Depot site someone posted for the Veranda... costs are way too high to justify buying just one board.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Mirion wrote:I recently received some nice sized free samples of a HDU product called Corafoam by Duna-USA in Texas. They are 11" x 11" in 15# and 20#, big enough to do some reasonable testing. There is a distributor here in Michigan called Grimco. Gonna try HDU for the first time myself. Below is the price from Grimco for 1" and 1-1/2" 15#. (4' x 8' only)

How can anyone justify those prices... for just a sign?

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

ezurick wrote:
Mirion wrote:I recently received some nice sized free samples of a HDU product called Corafoam by Duna-USA in Texas. They are 11" x 11" in 15# and 20#, big enough to do some reasonable testing. There is a distributor here in Michigan called Grimco. Gonna try HDU for the first time myself. Below is the price from Grimco for 1" and 1-1/2" 15#. (4' x 8' only)

Weather resistance is one of the primary reasons that sign makers have pretty much moved to materials like HDU and PVC for dimensional sign work instead of wood and wood products. The stuff also cuts like a dream and you can cut it fast with "big bites" even on a modest CNC. When you price a dimensional sign, a method often used is to have a fixed cost for design and setup (maybe three rates that depend upon complexity) and then a per-square inch to cover the material, cutting time and finishing time. That insures that the time spend in design and toolpathing is compensated property because a small sign "costs" just as much to design and toolpath as a big sign. Quality signs are not inexpensive to the buyer...just get a quote from a local sign maker if you don't believe that and the material cost isn't the major factor when compared to compensating the sign maker's time. Please do note that HDU for "larger" signs outdoors often require metal frame/support structure, but that cost is absorbed over a much, much longer life for the sign. It's more likely that refinishing will be required periodically rather than replacement like with wood and wood products.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

ezurick wrote:
Mirion wrote:DUNA-15X84100 1" 48X96 DUNA 15# HDU $213.80 DUNA-15X84150 1 1/2" 48X96 DUNA 15# HDU $317
YES YES ABSOLUTELY justifiable.

Melissa Jones of "Nice Carvings" is a WELL KNOWN - (at least in the sign world) - and sold FANTASTIC signs all over the world. She was a Duna HDU user.

Dan Sawatsky of Imagination Corporation is a sing maker and Amusement park maker - uses Coastal Enterprises (the stuff you bought) all the time.

I could name many more sign makers, some large, some small.

Because of the SUPERIOR characteristics of the material as compared to wood, hands down it is better.

Justifying it is easy --- but that is depending on HOW or WHAT the sign is designated to be.

1) Just a house sign with a house number? If it is going on YOUR house - maybe it does not matter that you need to repaint or remake a wood sign, because a wood sign WILL fail in a short time and look awful. Maybe a year - maybe two - certainly 3 In contrast HDU with good quality paint will last 10 or more without touching it. IF - you are going to SELL the same sign to a customer - the justification is SIMPLE. It is going to last and look great for many years with maybe just washing it.

2) Maybe something a little bigger. Maybe a sign that is sold to a business. You are going to warranty it. A wood sign WILL chip, peel, warp, rot, fade or something else. Maybe it will last 3 years before you get a call from the customer to get that thing OFF their building. With HDU - NOT so. It will last.

I made a sign for a customer in 2013, and it was in New England weather. I took it down in Dec 2018 to move it to her new building. She wanted it to be repainted a different color. The sign, after 5 years in harsh weather still looked great. I used a power washer to clean it before repainting it. Not a spec of paint came off even with power washing.

For a hobbyist, making a sign for the house. It's all a matter of perspective. For ME - I will use my Sign Foam 4 on my own house for sure.
NBT-2.jpg
This is the one I repainted.
The Anchor is Extira
The letters and outer rim is Sign Foam 4 HDU
It is 48 inches around
I just hung this sign on May 11, 2019
NBT-1.jpg
This one is a ONE piece sign make with Sign Foam 4 HDU
It is 96 inches by 24 inches by 2 inches thich
This has been in the weather since 2015
I asked her if she wanted it repainted - she said no, it still looks great.

Incidentally - this is in a maritime environment - salt water, not fresh water.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

Leo, nice work I use HDU all the time totally justifiable JERRY