Importing DXF size. Is this a bug?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
drpeej
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 750 x 1000

Importing DXF size. Is this a bug?

Post by drpeej »

I have been a bit puzzled when I import 3rd party DXF files to find that the scale is way off and the imported vectors are much too small.

I thought this was some sort of incompatibility with the dxf file produced by other apps but I find I get the same problem with Vectric's own tutorial files.

I have found the cause and a solution. The problem occurs because I always work in mm. When I import the wing spar DXF example it is only 7mm wide but if I change the units to inches while the initial Job Setup page is shown it changes to 7 inches. However, if I close the job setup page and then reopen it I can't change to inches without it being converted from mm.

If I open the .crv example file it is a different size again - ie 8 inches

This all seems a bit strange and inconsistent

drpeej
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 750 x 1000

Re: Importing DXF size. Is this a bug?

Post by drpeej »

I've realised why the crv file is 8“ - it's because there is white space around the 7" vector

CharlieP
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Saimsmart CNC

Re: Importing DXF size. Is this a bug?

Post by CharlieP »

The DXF vectors do not know that they are Inches or mm, just their value.
A 7" Square in a DXF file only knows that it is 7 units, and when importing that into a MM project, it will just assume that it must be 7mm.

As long as the project units match the units originally used to make the DXF file, it will be imported to the correct size.
If not, you can use the Set Size tool to resize it.