diamond drag bit

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
frank taylor
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: bravoprodigy be3030

diamond drag bit

Post by frank taylor »

looking for tips on using a diamond drag bit to engrave on glass importing a photo ???
regards frank

Xxray
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 1

Re: diamond drag bit

Post by Xxray »

Would not think vcarve would be the optimal program to use for an etch, you'd run the risk of pushing deep as it tries to carve with a bit not made for carving in a material not made for carving.
You'd want to use a profile toolpath with aspire or cut 2d - And I have seen very little luck with people trying to etch photos in plexiglas, I presume it would be a tough challenge in glass as well. I've never done it so can't offer tips but the dynamics of setting up a drag bit to etch is very simple. You lower the bit to material until it just starts to depress and zero it there. Software, set a very shallow depth, .009. You of course do not turn on the router, it is set to etch.
Doug

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can do profile toolpaths with VCarve in the same ways as Aspire and Cut2D.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Hmmm. I do not do much glass work these days. But what I do know is that I use a diamond "glass cutter" to scribe the glass so that it creates a fault line for shearing. In other words, running a diamond on glass sounds to me like it would create stress lines that might not be such a good idea.

Maybe that is why most folks etch glass?

But now that I think about it some people use the air turbine grinders with a diamond bit to engrave glass. Maybe that does not create stress lines?

Interesting subject.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Savannahdan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom AR8

Post by Savannahdan »

I have a diamond drag bit and it works with a spring inside of it and then you set the pressure when you pick that toolpath in Aspire/VCarve. There is a youtube video where a fellow cuts glass plates with the persons last name and then his wife does a vinyl of the first name(s). He includes specifics about how he uses this method, the bit and the settings. He didn't report any breakeage other than having problems with his clamping method. I thought I used my diamond drag bit on an acrylic project but reviewed things and I cut it with a vbit followed by an end mill.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

Savannahdan wrote:I have a diamond drag bit and it works with a spring inside of it and then you set the pressure when you pick that toolpath in Aspire/VCarve. There is a youtube video where a fellow cuts glass plates with the persons last name and then his wife does a vinyl of the first name(s). He includes specifics about how he uses this method, the bit and the settings. He didn't report any breakeage other than having problems with his clamping method. I thought I used my diamond drag bit on an acrylic project but reviewed things and I cut it with a vbit followed by an end mill.
You must mean this guy... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo1ZNvpAasA After I got my Chinese 6040, I've watched a few of his videos and it was helpful. He's not afraid to post his mistakes either.