Maple Burl as urn, topped with Birdseye Mountain

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Maple Burl as urn, topped with Birdseye Mountain

Post by scottp55 »

Had a Heck of a time coming up with unobtrusive few words for the front side of Burl!

Came up with paraphrasing Dad's Father.
Man of VERY few words and Rare praise....You usually got a nod of the head for good work....His HIGHEST praise was "Ya done Good" :)
Dad was an only child, and think he said he got his sixth one when I was born:)
I THINK I got 2 in my life, but the second one might be in my imagination.

Dad was a LOT more given to praise for a job well done....BUT the story of "Ya done Good" was known to All of us kids...and when Dad hauled it out...You GLOWED! :)
I changed it a little bit, so in a hundred years people won't think I was a iggerant idjit:)
Almost everything Dad did, He TRIED to do Good for everyone.
5.26.19 DAD'S FONT FRONT SIDE 1.jpg
I'll place more regular Memorial info on the bottom.
Also didn't want anybody having to try to guess the Mountain.
5.26.19 DAD'S FONT FRONT SIDE 2.jpg
Finish is coming along. This was carved with an Onsrud 30*Engraving bit with a .01" flat at Michael T's IPS settings of .3, .3, 18K....and I STILL worried about the Burl tearing out:)
Could have placed Dad's a hair more toward's Katahdin to stay in the heartwood, but got scairt:)
5.26.19 DAD'S FONT FRONT SIDE 3.jpg
Now just to find a North compass arrow I like...and maybe a "AT ends 5.2M." and place it correctly.
Then get it off the machine so can get pocket spiffed up. Then level bottom and seal TIGHT with Pine Resin from Earthpaint.
Slowly but surely :)
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Scott, that truly is a labor of Love and time has nothing to do with it, this will be the most important piece you will ever do.
Beautiful workman ship!

Thanks for sharing.
John
Maker of Chips

LittleGreyMan
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis small size machine

Post by LittleGreyMan »

highpockets wrote:Scott, that truly is a labor of Love and time has nothing to do with it, this will be the most important piece you will ever do.
Beautiful workman ship!

Thanks for sharing.
Well said John.

Scott, "Ya done Good"

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Guys,
Didier....equivalent in French? Be there such a Saying in Feeling if not Vernacular? :)

Got a nice North symbol, but sun has set and LOUSY pic of the .121" cut, and trying to keep all Fonts in the Heartwood so it's more subtle as oil penetrates endgrain. Using Master heatgun with Linseed(Earthpaint...NO dryers)/Beeswax "butter" to drive the finish in.
Warm Wood..Warm finish..best kept secret I've learned:)
It's my standard 80/20 heated double boiler/mason jar finish for years now..and I slather it on before cut to keep Fines down, and to fill pores...heat gun just penetrates further,AND as it cools..get's reabsorbed into wood.

DEFINITELY have a problem with most likely Z-Axis! ;(
Ran aircut for placement of the "North" symbol to make sure it was in Dark Heartwood...manually speeded it up to see how it related to a crack in the wood....got kinda Clunky, as Manual changes don't change the Ramping calcs. Ran it again and it STARTED carving! while it SHOULD have been .2" above surface :?
So had to carve where the first .02 cut was:( .02" off) App Data Pic :oops:
5.26.19 LOUSY PIC NORTH.jpg
Shows beautifully in reality
5.26.19 LOUSY PIC NORTH2.jpg
Decided NOT to put "Appalachian Trail" symbol, and "ENDS 5.2 M.", because of Z problems AND to KEEP it Clean of extraneous stuff.

Time to adjust my Potentiometers(Andrew Pitt's you tube vid....and if not that, tear Z-Carriage apart?
Manually changing Feed on Shopbots does NOT change "Ramping Values" when manually changing Feed by Keyboard!
is that CV in Mach 3?

Spilled some 3D Pine Resin from Earthpaint 5 days ago, and decided to see if a good sealant for the Mountain...
https://shop-earthpaint.net/products/3d ... ing-finish
And used the spill to test.....NEED to find some brick from Mom's walkway(GOT Red Ochre from Aus Opal"Ironstone" I'll use .005" finish cut chips from the Birdseye for "Moose KuKKa":)
5.20.19 3D ROSEN SPILLEDTEST.jpg
Googled "Pine Resin Glue" and got a ton of stuff from "Cutler's Resin"
https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index. ... n-recipes/
...Have HIGH respect for Bladesmiths, and Chisel makers!!!
Good enough for them, good enough for a test from me:)
Time to start testing!

Looks almost like a volcanic island :)

Tired..Up since 1:30am thunder CRASH, and rain on a steel roof...Triple espresso...and 3 hours BBC didn't help :D :D :D
Please excuse errors!
Thanks Guys!!...you keep this "Hermit in the Woods" going !!
The "Rambling Scott"
scott

Machine checking next!
Attachments
5.26.19 DAD'S FONT FRONT SIDE BIG PIC.jpg
5.26.19 NEED TO CLEAN SHOP WINDOWS  ISLAND.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.