Rotary question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
thomas61
Model of CNC Machine: Shop Sabre

Rotary question

Post by thomas61 »

Hello all,
We are relatively new to cnc and vcarve pro. We are trying to learn the process for turning spindles. We have created the spindle with a single rail sweep. The drawing looks good and the program produces two tool paths, as it should. The preview of these two tool paths look good. Our problem is that we want to produce another tool path for a 17 degree v bit to clean some of the sharp areas. We have not been able to do this except by making one pass over the whole vector. This would take way to long....How do we make a tool path that will only cut in the few sharp corners that we want to clean?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Re: Rotary question

Post by Rcnewcomb »

We have created the spindle with a single rail sweep.
The single rail sweep is an Aspire feature, but your question is in the VCarve topic. Which software do you have: Aspire or VCarve?
we want to produce another tool path for a 17 degree v bit to clean some of the sharp areas
You can control where the toolpath goes by using vectors (typically a rectangle) around the area that you want machined.

Alternately, if you are just adding grooves, flutes, or Vcarving you can use the "Project toolpath onto 3D" option for the profile, pocket, flute, or Vcarve toolpaths.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

The most similar example I have for what you wish to do is shown in this video at the 5:50 mark. To accomplish this place a radial line 5 times the circumference at the desired location, use the fluting toolpath and use straight ramp in over 75%.

You may be able to be more aggressive when sharpening edges. A simple line of one circumference at the proper place and proper depth could do the trick.

Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

thomas61

Post by thomas61 »

Sorry for the confusion. Still learning.... The directions from Vcarve on the program stated to select a rail or multiple rails then select the vector. I assumed this was doing a "one rail sweep" using the molding tool path. I stand corrected. I am using Vcarve Pro 9.5...
I hope this makes more sense now.
Gary, I watched the video and will attempt to make the line as you stated. Still a little cloudy about what this will do. Will get back to you all as soon as I have altered the program. Thanks for all your help.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

If you could post your CRV file here that would help us to help you.
- Randall Newcomb

thomas61

Post by thomas61 »

Still working on trying to figure Gary's fix. Not sure how to be perfect at the depth of cut for the new vector. No matter how long I make my radial line the cuts are the same. I would post my crv file but am not sure how. I tried to copy and paste but that does not work. Mike sent my some help and am also working with that. Thanks for all your help so far. Learning curve is steep, for me. Thanks

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Tom,
It's not the length of the vector that controls the cut depth.
It's the "Flute Depth" if you are using the Fluting tool path.

Michael
Attachments
depth.JPG
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I would post my crv file but am not sure how.
See this link for instructions: User Forum - How do I upload files or photos to the forum?
- Randall Newcomb