Identifying Fonts

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cusoak
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3D XXL

Identifying Fonts

Post by cusoak »

Is there some way of Identifying fonts you have use in a project. After all the tool paths are set up and saved ready to cut. Or has been cut ?
Jeff
Ps Happy Mothers Day early.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Identifying Fonts

Post by sharkcutup »

1.) Click on text the open the Create text in the Drawing tab and the font will be identified.
2.) You could use the Notes under the menu EDIT. Anything written in this block gets recorded onto the Job Sheet.
3.) Type the the text name adjacent to the Material outline so that when you open the file it will be readily seen
fonts.jpg
The above are the only ways I am aware of --- maybe someone else here knows some other trick to identifying the Font type used in a file. Whenever I use Text in a File I mostly use number 2 above because I save Job Sheets (future reference) and I also print them for quick reference tool changes in the workshop at the CNC machine for my Projects.

This could also be some feature that Vectric could look into. Maybe a feature where whenever text is used in a file they could be readily identified in the drawing tab just like the Job Dimensions are noted at the bottom of the Drawing Tab. "Just an Idea/Thought"! :idea:

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

I have Vcarve Desktop... where can I find this "job sheet"?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

VCarve desktop doesn't have the job sheet. It's a pro only function.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

What I've wound up doing is a tip from others.
Whenever doing multiple fonts or converting to curves....after I've got it looking like I want, and BEFORE messing with it, I copy to another layer named Original fonts.
That way if I SUBAR it (Screwed Up Beyond All Repair:), I have that layer saved that I can just go into Text Box,and have the original font identified along with the size,bold,and Italic options saved.
Saved me more than once.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Hey Scottp55,

I totally missed that one, I have done that in the past too. In fact, there are a number of situations where layers come in handy. I will sometimes copy my original (master) vectors there for when on the layer that I am working if something gets messed up beyond repair I have the Master to go back to and copy to my working layer.

Thank You Scott --- as I had said in my earlier post there may be someone here on this forum who knows a trick or two and you just mentioned a viable Great :idea: one!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have been doing the same sort of thing Scott mentioned for years, long time before I started to use a cnc & vectric software :lol: :lol:
Learnt that lesson with my signmaking software, it keeps the names of all fonts used in a file so each time you open an existing file you know which fonts have been used BUT that doesn't help with resizing & of ourse once a font is converted to curves it is no longer a text element so the name disappears :oops:
Simply copying text to a seperate layer is really the easiest way to ensure you always have it, you can turn the layer off & lock it so you don't even know its there.

there are a number of situations where layers come in handy I use layers all the time, they are an important part of how I work, if you take the time to learn how to use them properly then you may find them a lot more useful that you do at present :lol: :lol: