Edit Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
azfrankp
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Edit Toolpath

Post by azfrankp »

I'm an inexperienced user so forgive me if this is a simple task.

I'm trying to use the Profile toolpath to create an Edwardian Script text on a block of wood that I can later slice, creating a standalone script (without background) to apply to glass. Most of the toolpath is OK. However, it has created a couple of unwanted independent tool path segments primarily in the center of the wider lines of the script. Is there away to eliminate these items in the tool path? I've tried to change the text to curves but it won't let me select those points in that part of the toolpath. It helps a little to increase the diameter of the tool bit and then physically use a smaller bit. This helps making the text thicker and thus less fragile but there are still a couple of areas that the toolpath destroys by cutting in the center of a thicker line.

Is there a way to eliminate this part of the toolpath or a better way to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Edit Toolpath

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi Frank,

Can you upload your actual VCarve project file so we can see what’s needing correction?
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

Here is the actual file.
Attachments
Buch1.crv
Actual File
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 99 times

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

Here is a PDF of the toolpath. Note the two of the h's and one "e" has the issue
Attachments
Buch1.pdf
PDF of toolpath
(43.84 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

Ooops, sorry. The pdf did not show the toolpaths so you'll have to open the file.

Thanks.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not sure of the effect you're going but with a font like that the usual approach is a v-carve toolpath not a profile one. The top text will v-carve fine as it's still text but the bottom one has been converted to curves so you would need to redo it as text or weld the vectors to get rid of the overlaps.

If you do want the profile toolpath then you'll need to convert the top line to curves and weld it as well as it's the overlaps that are causing the issue from what I can see.

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

ToolpathBuchheister.pdf
PDF of Toolpath
(57.51 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Thanks but I don't think my problem is in the vectors. It seems to be in the toolpath created from the vectors. I'm guessing that V-Carve is seeing the font as lines and not a profile. When the distance between the lines in the font "Profile" get too wide apart, a toolpath segment is created to split it. Because the toolpath doesn't appear to have an associated vector it can't be edited. I managed to do a print screen picture (attached) of the toolpath created so you can see what I am talking about. It is noted that one line is curves making up a font and the other is the original font. The problem is in both. Look at the 1st 'e' in the 1st line and you will see the tool path takes both an outside and inside pass. In the second line, that does not happen. The same thing happens in the 'h" on the 1st line and the 1st 'h' on the second line.

I don't get this problem with a normal Arial type font.

I can't use any of the text toolpaths because they don't do profiles (outline) only engraving, prism or inset. I'm simply trying to create an outline of the font so I can slice the wood to remove the background ending up with a 3D scripted name I can glue to a piece of glass. What you see on the attached works for me except that one 'e' and two 'h's get destroyed by the toolpath. The toolpath segment created doesn't appear to be associated with a visible vector and therefore I can't delete that segment of the toolpath.

Thanks for trying to help.

Frank

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

azfrankp wrote:Thanks but I don't think my problem is in the vectors. It seems to be in the toolpath created from the vectors. I'm guessing .....

Frank
Yes, the problem is with the vectors in the font. No doubt about it. It has a bunch of loops and also some non closed vectors.

Don't "guess", there is no point in guessing about this stuff.

I corrected your file and have attached it below. That is one lousy font.

Here it is fixed, your .125 diameter tool cannot fit in places like on the capital "C", there is only about .06 in between:
Capture.JPG
Here are some of the loops in that font:
Capture2.JPG

The fixed file:
Buch1 (Ted).crv3d
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 77 times
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

BTW, you have about zippity doo dah chance of cutting that piece successfully. The reason I say that is because there are things like the little cross bar on the lower "t" that are only .03 thick. Good luck trying to get that to cut properly.

There are just some fonts that are not practical to cut unless they are done in a very large size, like hanging on the side of a building to be viewed from a super highway. That is one of them.

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Believe it or not I actual cut it in MDF as a trial. I did cheat however. I used a very sharp spiral 1/16 end mill with a setup for a 1/8" bit. That allows the outline to be larger. It worked in all areas except for the 3 letters which you just fixed. Fortunately, this will be glued to a piece of glass and won't ever get touched so I can afford to piece some of it together. I know what you mean about that font. Unfortunately, it's the only one that matches the existing carvings already there. If necessary I can play with some of the vectors to fatten up the lines a little now that you helped me get rid of the extra tool passes.

Thanks for saving the day.

Frank

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Why are you toolpathing with one size bit & then using a smaller size? If you want to thicken up the stroke on the font a bit then use an offset.
Type your text, sort the loops & then apply an offset The offset will be curves rather than text & will profile cut without a problem, You can play about with the size of the offset until you get something that looks OK without having to try cutting anything :lol: :lol:

OK to say it will cut without a problem isn't entirely true, you will still have the problems with very thin parts that Ted mentioned :lol: :lol:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard

Post by TReischl »

Myself? I would take it over to someone who has a laser and let them cut the thin material rather than fooling around cutting, slicing, etc.

(Actually, I would cut it on my laser)

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

All good suggestions. As I said in the beginning, all part of my inexperience with this thing. I don't know anyone locally that would laser cut this. I have a laser attachment for my Shark but it only engraves. This text needs to be a minimum of 3/8" thick. Being that I made the investment, like to play and need the experience with this machine, I'll get it to work eventually before I admit defeat and pay someone else to do it. :lol:

I'll post a picture of the final product when complete. Thanks again for all your help.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

When you are satisfied with the outcome in a cheap testing material you may want to go to a hardwood for the final carve for they have a tighter harder grain structure which may hold up better during the carving process in fact you may even want to seal the material before carving this also helps eliminate tearout.

Just some thoughts!!!

Good Luck with your Project!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

azfrankp

Post by azfrankp »

The project is done (but not installed yet). If you're interested, I attached pictures of it right after CNC (BeforeSliced) and after slicing. The photo you see in the Sliced photo is the total project that will be stained, finished and installed on a large glass wine fridge door which will be framed in the same wood.

I am a cabinet maker by trade. The wood is Cherry. The 2 1/2" X 80" X 3/4" frame surrounds the door and these items will be glued directly to the glass at the top using Gorilla Glass glue. The wood species,color scheme and décor matches the entire kitchen. A plaque they had received from a family member hangs close by and is the same font as this. That is why it was critical to use the materials and design theme.

I have done slicing several times in making different projects on my CNC. If you try this yourself, be sure to place a piece of tape on the front of the carving and place this side against the saw fence. This is so that the free floating pattern after slicing is held in place. For safety, your saw should be adjusted perfectly perpendicular and the sharp blade raised a little more than half the height. Flip and cut the remaining piece. Making two passes reduces the strain on the material and saw.

Thank you all so much for helping me get through it. :D

Frank
Attachments
BeforeSliced.pdf
After CNC
(46.22 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Sliced.pdf
Before Install
(48.82 KiB) Downloaded 104 times