Complete Newbie Question.....

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Micky Dee
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus HD

Complete Newbie Question.....

Post by Micky Dee »

Hi Folks:

Greetings from Canada.

We are very new to CnC and are in the learning phase. I have a few projects saved in the computer and have tried a couple on the machine, didnt really like what they looked like and went back to the drawing board to see if I could make them look better. FYI I am attaching couple of pictures of what we are doing.....

We have a Shark Pro Plus HD machine and the post processor we are using is the CnC Shark-USB arcs inch .tap and I keep getting an error message that the post processor doesnt allow for tool changes. Yes, I am aware that I have an end mill for one of the toolpaths and a V-bit for other toolpaths, but I feel that the project looks better that way.

And now for the really newbie question.......

Does anyone know of a post processor that allows for tool changes and barring that IS there a way to save the toolpaths so that I can perform the tool changes required?

Any info would be greatly apprecia

Thanks Folks
Attachments
aes op.jpg
acso.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Complete Newbie Question.....

Post by Adrian »

I'm not familiar with the Shark Control software to know if it can cope with tool changes in files but it's definitely do-able as far as the Vectric side of things is concerned. My shopbot doesn't have a tool changer but it's setup via the post processor and control software to prompt me to change tools if I output them all to one file.

The usual way if you don't have a pseudo tool changer is to save a file for each bit and run them one after another changing and zeroing the bit inbetween.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Complete Newbie Question.....

Post by sharkcutup »

I notice that you use a v-bit for most of the carving. If it is the same V-bit for all you can use the CREATE MERGED TOOLPATH button(icon) under Toolpath Operations (5th row down, 4th from left).

As far a saving all toolpaths to one file -- Well unless you have an Automatic Tool Changer (not likely on a Shark machine) you will/can edit the saved .tap file to include stops for tool changes, otherwise you will need to run each toolpath one at a time with being certain to re-zero the z-axis each time a tool change is made. Note as above in some cases if same tool (router bit) is used you can merge the toolpaths to one file.

Hope that this explanation helps!

Good Luck with your Projects!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554