how cut aluminium?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jbanti
Model of CNC Machine: custom cnc

how cut aluminium?

Post by jbanti »

My problem is that when my cnc cuts aluminium, when it do the tabs for subject the piece, in the falling step my cnc ever makes a vibration:
0 level->move up 2mm->making the tab 2mm->falling down, in this point vcarve make it too fast and my cnc makes a noise and a vibrations then the part in this point ever have a scracth.

I solved it setting the speed of down movement in a 0.25mm/s with this setting it works fine but it waste a lot of time for make the parts.

How do you do for cut the aluminium parts?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Re: how cut aluminium?

Post by IslaWW »

The trick with aluminum is to have a rigid machine with decent horsepower and "let 'er eat". Most of the time I would use 12-15Krpm using a single "O" flute at 90 in/min (38mm/sec) at .080-.090" (2mm+) per pass

That said, you will always get some chatter when plunging down into aluminum. Yes, around every tab. The stiffer the frame, the less deflection. Less, never none.

Look at around 2 minutes into this video and you can see the tabs cutting. At 4:10 you can see some chatter induced by ramps into the next pass

Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

Gary, would using a 3D (ramped) tab help with this material since the "plunge" is then gradual in either direction while the machine keeps moving?

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

Jim...
Other than when I use a standard tab to lift and miss a vise jaw or similar (shown in video) I always use 3D tabs (also shown). There are also examples of ramping to pass depth. In each and every case when the bit plunges is there is chatter. You can hear it and see it.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

jbanti
Model of CNC Machine: custom cnc

Post by jbanti »

I want the machine of the video, my machine is a diy for wood and a litle aluminium

Thanks for the info.

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard

Post by IslaWW »

I build my machines too. All the machines shown on my YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1/videos
are machines that I have build or modified.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com