Introduction and a question.(or two)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Charles Deshler
Model of CNC Machine: KL-6090

Introduction and a question.(or two)

Post by Charles Deshler »

I am new to all things Vcarve pro and cnc, I have made a few projects so far to include some name plaques, a Bob Marley carve and the "Handy napkin holder" from V&Co/Michael Tyler.
The napkin holder was in MDF for practice, as I have never done a 2.5D/3D carve. Turned out good, except had a weird Line on both halves. We'll take about that later.
I have a KL-6090 with Mach3, I am currently building an inventory of bits, clamps and other accessories.
Today, My question is this, I want to join two boards together, end to end "inlay fashion" Picture a board with a shape, say a Cross, carved on one end. A contrasting wood would have a Cross shaped hole in the end, and the two would marry together perfectly. Does that make sense? I am not familiar with all the terms yet, so pardon me if I confused the question.
This wood be full thickness carve. Hopefully as close 1" thick as I can get.
Many thanks.
Charles in Michigan

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Re: Introduction and a question.(or two)

Post by gkas »

I think you could do what you want with an Inlay Toolpath. This tutorial will show you how to do an inlay. https://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V ... ideo_id=37

You could cut the inlay half way, or all the way through. The tutorial will show you how to make sure they match and fit together.