Toolpaths outside of Array Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
brrian
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds WorkBee 1515

Toolpaths outside of Array Toolpath

Post by brrian »

Is it possible to have toolpaths outside of an Array toolpath? Reference the image below. I have an array of six parts, then two separate circles. I'd like to cut the array, then the circles. How do I create a toolpath for the circles without them ending up a part of the array?

Also, is it possible to individually add and remove toolpaths from the array?

do a coin flip

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpaths outside of Array Toolpath

Post by Adrian »

Just create the toolpaths for the circles as normal. You can then save the toolpaths together when outputting the code. You don't need to add them to the array.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

Make a toolpath for the array. Make another one for the circles. Save the toolpaths with the "Output all visible toolpaths to one file" box checked. The toolpaths will be cut in the order they appear on the list.

You can make different selections from the array (Assuming the separate parts are not grouped.) and make a toolpath for each one. When you save them to a file, you can select whatever ones you want.

Since you have just joined the forum, and asked a rather simple question, I suspect you are just starting with CNC. I would like to make three suggestions.

1. View the Vectric.com tutorials. Many of us have 2 monitors so we can play the tutorial on one, and duplicate the actions on the second. I also suggest Mark Lindsey's YouTube series. (Mark Lindsey CNC) He answers many of the questions that you will have.
2. Check the Help-Help Contents (At the top of the VCarve window) when you have a question about a feature of your Vectric program.
3. Try the options you can think of yourself and see what happens.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

brrian
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds WorkBee 1515

Post by brrian »

I don't know what I did differently this time, but I just created a toolpath for the circle and it worked as expected - outside of the array. I did this over and over the other night and every time the new toolpath became a child of the array. Odd. I'll figure out the difference that makes one or the other occur.

So, if I inadvertenly made a toolpath a child of an array, can it be removed from the array? Or vise versa - could I add an existing toolpath to an array?

And about me - I'm a very experienced CAD user. I bought a Shapeoko & have been routing since December. I have some prior CNC experience at work. I'm no expert but I'm pretty comfortable with VCarve, at least the parts of it I need to use. And I love it.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can delete toolpaths within an array by using the normal toolpath delete functions. If you delete the array itself you will be prompted to keep the original toolpaths if needed. You can duplicate toolpaths within an array and change the vectors they use as well.