Project Tool Path onto 3D Model

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
timtsuga
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRouterParts

Project Tool Path onto 3D Model

Post by timtsuga »

I purchased VCarvePro to carve 3D maps. I use the Project Tool Path Command to overlay streams, roads, boundaries and other vectors on the 3D model so they are carved into their proper Z elevation.

It worked FABULOUS at first. Now it only works about 1 in 20 tries. Typically, it produces a tool path that is below the maximum model depth or at the bottom of the material.

I use the Profile Command because when I tried using the VCarve Engraving Toolpath Command, it would produce a tool path at a depth of 5.6 inches, well below the 3/4 inch material thickness.

I have followed written procedures and videos such as http://support.vectric.com/tips-and-tri ... ideo_id=11

I have been using Selector with the Associate with Toolpath Box checked and the proper layers also checked.

I have been pulling my hair out (what is left of it!) for three days because I like to solve my own problems. But now I am desperate and figure I must be doing something really basic and stupid and another set of eyes could point me in the correct direction.

Here are my procedures
1. Select vectors in the layer I want to carve
2. Create profile tool path
3. Associate the tool path with the 3D model using Selector
4. Check the Project tool path onto 3D model box
5. Calculate the tool path

Help would be appreciated !!!

Attached are photos that show the current project.
1. State of Washington 3D carving showing topography and streams carved 0.02 inches into topography.
2. Enlarging of a portion of the carving showing streams following the topography.
3. What is happening now. Note the coast of Washington. I specified a 0.01 inch depth but the resulting tool path is well before the model depth.
Attachments
State of Washington 3D carving showing topography and streams carved 0.02 inches into topography.
State of Washington 3D carving showing topography and streams carved 0.02 inches into topography.
Enlargment of a portion of the carving showing streams following the topography.
Enlargment of a portion of the carving showing streams following the topography.
What is happening now.  Note the coast of Washington.  I specified a 0.01 inch depth but the resulting tool path is well before the model depth.
What is happening now. Note the coast of Washington. I specified a 0.01 inch depth but the resulting tool path is well before the model depth.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Project Tool Path onto 3D Model

Post by Adrian »

I don't understand the steps you're listing.

In step 1 you say you're selecting the vectors, step 2 create the profile toolpath but then in step 3 you're saying you're associated the 3D model using the selector?

The profile toolpath should be associated with the vectors not the 3D model. You can't select a 3D model with the vector selector. It only works on vectors. I'm assuming you're getting a toolpath generated because the vectors are on the same layer as the model or it's just ignoring the setting and staying on manual rather than automatic.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Tim,

If you post your actual VCarve Pro file (the .crv), it would be extremely helpful for someone to find where you’ve gone wrong with the Toolpath settings and make corrections.

As usual, if the file size is too large to post here directly, upload your file to DropBox (or similar free file transfer utility), then post the download link here.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

timtsuga

Post by timtsuga »

Thank you for responding!!!

I uploaded the CRV and STL file to my Google Drive account. I assume that all the vectors are stored within the CRV file, if not, I can upload those also.

The link to download the folder / files is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The two files are 390 megs.

Last night I was successful in associating the Coast vector layer with the 3D model in its’ correct Z elevation. However, when I looked at the Streams-Order 5 layer this morning which I had previously carved in the wood, it was now projected over the top of the 3D model in the Washington-AST file.

So, it seems that the tool paths seem to change elevation when I view them in Preview Toolpaths, kind of confusing to me.

There are many layers in the CRV file. Right now I am working with:
1. The 3D model titled Washington Topo-AST
2. Coast-the vectors for the Washington coast line
3. Streams-Order5

Thanks for taking a look at the file!!!

Tim

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I created the toolpaths for the streams by using the automatic vector association to the streams layers and it all seemed to be working fine to me.

I still think, from your earlier description, that you're misunderstanding the vector association/selection part so that might be where you're going wrong and perhaps looking at out of date toolpaths?

timtsuga

Post by timtsuga »

Adrian, Thank you for responding!

Sorry I was not clear. I checked the box in Selector that says ‘Associate with tool path’ so I am associating the vectors with the 3D model when I create the tool path.

I have posted the CRV and STL on my Google Drive file for the project per mtylerfi’s request in his response.

The link is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks!
Tim

timtsuga

Post by timtsuga »

Adrian, I suspect you are correct when you say "I still think, from your earlier description, that you're misunderstanding the vector association/selection part so that might be where you're going wrong and perhaps looking at out of date toolpaths?"

I will write up the exact steps I have used later today and post it so you can review it if you have time and identify where I am going wrong.

I am really confused because sometimes I get a toolpath at the proper elevation and sometimes I don't. What is really confusing is that sometimes the toolpath is below the maximum elevation of my model!

Thanks again!

Tim

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

Tim, you are running version 9.511, which is quite old. Try upgrading to 9.517 and recalculate your toolpaths.

Greg K

timtsuga

Post by timtsuga »

mtylerfl, Adrian and Greg K

I think I figured out why the problem is occurring.

For some reason, the 3D model is changing location within my material. I have been extra careful to check the model location and I am now able to place all vector layers at their proper location within the model.

However, I am miffed why after I set the location, in my case I always put the Gap to 0 at the top of the material, that it defaults to another location. I have seen it change to the bottom of my material and to the center.

Maybe I have to re-set / verify the location each time I create a new tool path for each layer?

I suspect that I am not out of the woods yet, and will repost if this continues to happen.

Your posts have made me look very carefully at all my steps and helped me figure this out.

At least I hope I have figured it out!!

mtylerfl, if you like to carve 3D maps, I can send you vectors and STL DEM’S of your state. Greg and Adrian, I have DEM's of Great Britain, but no vectors, yet.

Thanks!
Tim

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Tim,

Thank you for letting us know you got the problem worked out. I don’t know why the model position was changing.

Thank you for your kind offer for the DEM STL files, as well. I will keep that in mind!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

timtsuga

Post by timtsuga »

Michael,

I took everyone's advice including updating VCarve Pro and it seems to be working perfectly now!!! The variable height toolpaths above and below the material are still a mystery to me.

I will find out in a few minutes how the new files are working when I head out into the garage and carve the state of Washington. The toolpaths look great in the Preview.

Thanks!
Tim