Feed and speed calculator

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
skieva
Model of CNC Machine: X-Carve

Feed and speed calculator

Post by skieva »

Is there resource available that can be used to determine the data needed to add tools to the VCarve tool database?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Feed and speed calculator

Post by Adrian »

Google for chipload charts. Every major bit manufacturer has them. That will give you a starting point but the actual feeds you can achieve depends on many factors unique to the individual machine/material/bit.

It's also a topic that comes up on the forum continuously so if you use the forum search function you'll find a wealth of info.

twedlake
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by twedlake »

this is about the best I've found. Completely customizable with your own tool info

https://www.cnccookbook.com/

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

Take the stuff from cnccookbook with some grains of salt. I've had it for a long time. For my machine, for wood products it comes up with values that are very conservative, and in real life I vary considerably from the suggestions for some bits. I'd start with the feed and speed charts from the manufacturers (for example, Southeast Tool or Amana) and adjust from there. For most hobby machines you may need to adjust down, as the machines may not be capable of the suggested feeds and speeds for some bits. Within the limits of your router/spindle, also remember that as feed rates are reduced, spindle speed needs to reduce as well. Look at the size of the chips you're creating, and also listen to the bit as it cuts. If it's screaming with a high-pitched sound, it's spinning too fast for the feed rate you have set. If you're getting dust instead of chips, same thing.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost