Controlling vector selection in toolpaths

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
svenko
Model of CNC Machine: Homebuildt Router

Controlling vector selection in toolpaths

Post by svenko »

Hi all,
I'm in need on some help on the above listed subject. I have to admit that I'm not using my CNC router very much but I recently built a fourth axis for it. I'm still on version 8.5 of VCarve Pro and I wanted to see if I could engrave some machine dials since metal working is my main hobby. This is a wrapped job and it's working pretty well but I would like to be able to engrave the tick mark with the fourth going in the same direction for all the marks to eliminate the need for doing backlash compensation. I have tried all of the order choices in the profile toolpath and the best I can get is with the grid setting, with that it cuts all the lines expect the long ones in one direction and cut the long lines on the way back so it's only reversing directions once, then it goes all the way back to engrave the numbers.

If anyone can suggest a way to change the vector selection I would love to know about it. I have attached a picture of a sample cut on a PVC pipe that I trued up on the lathe and also my crv file. Thanks in advance for all you guys that share their knowledge here.

Svenko
Attachments
IMG_0561.JPG
Wrapped Output Test.crv
(199 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Controlling vector selection in toolpaths

Post by Adrian »

The only way to get vectors to cut in the exact order you want if one of the pre-sets doesn't work is to select them in order by holding down the shift key and clicking on them in turn to add them to the selection. Then choose Vector Selection in the Order tab.

I've done that for you in the attached file and its cutting in the correct order verified by using the step to retract on the preview. I don't see why it shouldn't work wrapped as well but I can't verify that.
Attachments
Wrapped Output Test (vector selection).crv
(194 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

svenko

Post by svenko »

Thanks Adrian for he quick reply and the solution, I just downloaded your file and will test it out.

svenko

Post by svenko »

Unfortunately I was unable to open the file which was an Aspire 9.517 file and I'm still on VCarve Pro 8.5, but I'll try what you described and see if that works in VCP.