I made a promise

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BigC
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee

I made a promise

Post by BigC »

Note to one's self, Don't promise your grandkids something because they will hold you to it hahaha
Yeah, that's me. Two small guys who think they are Capt. Jack Sparrow and keep breaking their swords (plastic) so grandad opened his big fat mouth and promised to make them one each (thinking they would forget all about it in a few days) Wrong!
OK now I'm struggling to find something suitable from the armory. I found a 3D Cutlass model on Design and Make website.
Can I scale this up? To fit two small dudes.
Can I cut one side and flip it and cut another mirror image and glue the two parts together? to complete the sword.
Asking before I make a purchase
Regards
C

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: I made a promise

Post by TReischl »

All sounds very doable to me.

Scaling, mirroring, etc.

If you have not done two sided machining before it will pay huge dividends by watching the tutorial on how it is done.

That is a great cutlass design. What comes to mind is John Belushi dressed as a pirate swinging down on that banner in Animal House.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Yes, it does look very much achievable.
I have gone ahead and purchased the Cutlass (raised ed.) then made a mirror image and run through a few toolpaths. Seems like everything is performing as it should.
I may go a stage further and engrave a skull and crossbones and their names near the hilt area, but for now, I'm impressed. for $12 you can't go wrong.

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

Hey, you have to put their name on it and personalize it.. (from another grandpa).

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Aye Aye Capt'n
The story thus far prior to sanding and decoration.
The cutlass cut out really well if a little on the thin side but the detail was good even in MDF. If I was to make another I'd add a few mm to the base height for more structure. But its for a child (aka Capt'n Skunkbeard) so I don't need a lot of bulk.
I've given the sword its first coat of MDF sealant as you can see in the pic, prior to painting.

one half of the mirrored cutlass project

MDF sealant

more to follow landlubbers
Regards
C

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

jerry carney wrote:Hey, you have to put their name on it and personalize it.. (from another grandpa).
Rather than putting their names directly onto the actual sword. I will be decorating the hilt area with skull beads, fabrics and leather tassels, intertwined into this swag type area will be lettered/alphabet square beads denoting their names...Fit for the Capt'n...If all goes to plan :lol:
Regards
C

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Post by rtibbs »

Aargh, lookin’ good Matey

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Hey Matey,

Check out the 3D Shield Model I created today. It can be appropriately scaled to whatever size is needed. 2.0" Blank material size scales to 18.5 tall x 15" wide
Shield_A_FRONT.jpg
The .stl file is available at my website noted below

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 12.004

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

sharkcutup wrote:Hey Matey,
Check out the 3D Shield Model I created today. It can be appropriately scaled to whatever size is needed. 2.0" Blank material size scales to 18.5 tall x 15" wide
Shield_A_FRONT.jpg
The .stl file is available at my website noted below
Sharkcutup
Many thanks, looks great, I'll take a look at your site shortly

Just a couple more pics of the initial decoration process, starting with the first paint coats of the Handle, Blade and later the Guard. Still a lot of sanding and rubbing down to be performed but I've made a start.
For the handle, I have gone with a Mahagony touch up marker pen, which seems to give the subject a nice leather look
The Blade is sprayed a Metallic Chrome

I have ordered some Pirate paraphernalia from the Bay of Fleas, mainly skull, name beads and threads to decorate the hilt area when the time arrives.
I'm pleased with how things are going so far, let's see how it all turns out, will it pass, or will I be walking the plank lol
Regards
C

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Just a few images of the decoration process.
As you can see from the last post I have finished with the basic colouration palette. put simply Brown Handle, Silver Balde and Brass Handle.
I have also sealed it with a colour enhancing clear protective spray coat. Now I need to make it look a little more menacing, with feathers, beads, fabrics and threads.
Whilst I wouldn't cut this again from MDF for a number of reasons I would like to fashion one from Oak, taking all the little mistakes that I made from this and milling a heavier weight. but again it's for a kid. Having said that I will bring this to completion in the days ahead whilst awaiting enhancement parts to arrive from online purchases.
"Shiver me Timbers" it be looking pretty good from just a scrap piece of MDF.

Regards
C

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Its looking good, thanks for posting

The big question however is Will it last as long as it has taken to make :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

martin54 wrote: It's looking good, thanks for posting

The big question, however, is Will it last as long as it has taken to make
Well, it doesn't look too bad actually, needs a lot more cosmetically to get it to where I want it to be. I have a picture in my head, will it live up to that, who knows!
It should take a few knocks for now. I'm using it as a blueprint for a few more actually only this time not from MDF.

Hopefully, it will achieve its potential
Regards
C

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Looking good, C!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

BigC
Vectric Wizard

Post by BigC »

Decoratively the Cutlass is almost complete, just a little gold Bakers Twine to disguise some knots made whilst adding the beadwork.
I think I have escaped "walking the Plank" for another while...

The problem now is, The Capt'n has a brother. :roll:
Thank You for following my little adventure its been a pleasure having you onboard.

Regards
C

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Ahoy C
I 'ave enjoyed this tale o' adventure. Thank ye fer sharin' yer journey. Now, I be curious t' see how long these masterpieces o' cutlass design survive th' glorious battles ahead.
I implore ye t' keep us posted.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell