Beer Flight Moulding Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Beer Flight Moulding Toolpath

Post by rtibbs »

I cut Beki's Beer Flight project and have a question regarding the swept profile. The first 8-10 passes are essentially air cuts as the bit doesn't start cutting wood until approx. the 12th pass.

Is this normal? I tried twice and stopped after several passes (as nothing seemed to be happening), reviewed the toolpath and gave it another go. On my third attempt I decided to let it run longer and that's when it started cutting on the~12th pass. (Yes, I zeroed the Z axis) :wink:

I used Beki's file and only changed the thickness as her material was .89 and mine is .78 thick.

Another Newbie trying to learn,

Ron
Beer flight redux.crv
(708.5 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510,24x48 GCnC/WinCNC

Re: Beer Flight Moulding Toolpath

Post by dealguy11 »

The sweep vector is shaped and oriented wrong.

For a moulding toolpath, you don't need the vertical foot at one end of the sweep vector. Either of the sweep vectors in the attached file will work better...pick the one you prefer. Also note that the one on the left will not appear to cut for many passes because it will be cutting on the top surface of the part until it starts to plunge in.

I also clicked on "Create sharp corners" in your moulding toolpath so the corners will look right.

Also, I'd probably run the cutout toolpath second to last.
Attachments
Beer flight redux.crv
(426.5 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

rtibbs
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot desktop

Re: Beer Flight Moulding Toolpath

Post by rtibbs »

Thanks for the response dealguy,

I also found that the profile wasn't quite right it and did not cut the proper width. What I found was on the original file the width was wider than my machine could cut so I rotated it 90 deg's. Apparently I also rotated the profile which threw everything off. I put the profile back to its original position and re-cut. Everything looks good now except for the not so sharp corners :oops: The original file had that checked however, I apparently missed that when making changes.

Another good day........I learned something :mrgreen: