Krazy...Thrown away scrap of Oak firewood

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: Krazy...Thrown away scrap of Oak firewood

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks...It was Dad that dragged me away from my conventional tools(kicking and screaming) to help him with his CNC project in wood.
GLAD he did, or I never would have met such a nice bunch of people, and fallen in love with one of my favorite tools.
ALWAYS wanted to carve wood....BUT I STUNK at it!!

Monday my sister flew up and rented a wheelchair van with a lift and a wheelchair in Burlington.
Drove to St. Albans, and care attendant and she got him in the 'Chair...and she drove him North into Canada, found a stream, got him out, put together a beginner's casting rod and reel...
Baited the hook with a WORM and Bobber(Dad was a DEDICATED fly fisherman for last 20+ years:) and Dad cast it.
The SMILE on his face was PRICELESS!!!
Hadn't seen him that happy in half a year! He looked like a little kid with his very first rod!! :) :)
It was the next afternoon that things went bad..Weds Morphine started and lorazapam dose started getting upped. He was kept comfortable.
NOT a bad way to go after one last fishing trip!
One last Hurrah, and then a fairly fast comfortable end in your sleep...we had talked about it.....and we agreed that's how WE would like it.

I could not imagine a better Father!!
Thanks to all in advance.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you, Scott, for letting us know. I’m glad your Dad had that fishing trip - good memories.

My sincere condolences to you and your family during this time.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Mike-S
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's Hybrid 4x4 (but 3x3)

Post by Mike-S »

Sorry to hear that, Scott. Keep that carving just as it is.

armbrusterco
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Roland MDX-40A

Post by armbrusterco »

Condolences on your Father's passing. He was well loved.
Bob Armbruster
www.ArmbrusterCo.com

Mirion
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot Buddy

Post by Mirion »

Condolences Scott, what a great relationship you had!

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Just wanted to say thanks for the comments!

I rely on my X,Y fences for accuracy, and one thing I learned on this little one I just slapped on WITHOUT checking fences, was after clamping 4 birch logs,and 2 walnut logs and really Winding on those Shopfox cam clamps on a small portion of my Y fence...is it managed to push that corner of fence a strong 1/6" despite 3/8" dowels and 1/4X20 bolts!
You can see the ridge left on the left side of workpiece! Time to add another couple dowels, after sucking the corner back into square with the Bessey.

Also, HAD thought about using my Onsrud .25"shank 30degree engraving with a .005" flat for some fine details, the .125"shank Chinese .25mmR TBN(Tapered Ball Nose), BUT there are some Very delicate features such as the mushrooms on his hat, and the cricket on his beard that might not survive another cutting however light on unsupported White Oak end grain.
IF I'd wanted the detail...Should have reversed my plan, and used the 30*engraving first, THEN do the approx 5degree .25mmR TBN after a coat of Linseed/wax .

Discover Saturday, that Dad's wishes were for ashes to be split into 1/8'th...One for Stepmom, and one for each of us kids.
Did NOT like, any of the mortuary boxes, and was going to make my own, but..........
My back door is 30' from a beaver pond. Dad had "poo..poohed" it while we were doing production, BUT after that was done I took my one office chair and put it at the back door for Dad to sit in while I made him his tea...And heard "Oo" "Scott..come here and Look" as he watched all the wildlife in and around pond.
From then on...Dad would come in front door, and head Right for HIS chair! :)
5.10.18 Dad's Chair.jpg
Many fine hours spent with him at that back door in last few years...and ALWAYS a comment in phone calls and cards about my "Animal Farm" "Zoo" and "Scott's Critter Refuge"
Last 9 months....always called him with a "Critter Report" on the phone...and he always mentioned he missed watching my "Farm"

WAS going to just make a special box, BUT last year BobtailFarm gifted me some burls. One was a Big Sugar Maple burl Dad took a liking to after I surfaced both sides.
5.8.18 BB MAPLE BURL BARK SIDE 1.jpg
5.8.18 BB MAPLE BURL BARK SIDE 2.jpg
5.8.18 BB TREE SIDE BRACED 1.jpg

The Tree side had a spot that I called the "Grand Canyon", and had asked Dad what he thought of my ideas of EcoPoxy or filling with tin or Frit.....
He said "LEAVE it...it's a Feature!!" and he always made a point of looking at it as it dried in the house, and saying "I'll be VERY interested to see what you Do with this piece!!"

I decided a while ago it would go where his chair was and be a mobile side stand for my binoculars/camera/cedar flute etc.
Dad made sure it would be mobile so I could move it so he could get His Chair to the atrium doors :)

Since Monday...been looking at that slab more and more(and wondering about the volume of the ashes for a Big man).
Had planned the mobile stand, so the slab was just resting on the 2 uprights(covered with fleece or leather) so it could be flipped onto either side.
Depending on volume of ashes, I'll either make an organic shaped box to follow the grain patterns, and the pocket out the Grand Canyon to match?
OR made a model yesterday while puttering of his favorite mountain "Katahdin"(translates as "Greatest Mountain" so no real Mainer ever calls it Mount Katahdin 'cause it sounds stupid:)
which is the tallest in Maine, and was almost a right of passage to climb both for him and all his children while growing up, and all had an affinity for it!
I made him a Cocobolo "Katahdin" to keep in his truck so he could "Knock on Wood" a couple years back, and he was so proud of it he kept showing it to everybody:)
9.20.16 Katahdin 3.jpg
Need to get that Maple Burl slab onto machine and get it jigged up, so when ashes are delivered tomorrow...I can have a regular person take a few straight down shots to enter into my
"Wood" App Data folder, so I can start planning either a "Katahdin" topped cavity, Or vector boundary for an inserted box.

I spend generally at least a couple hours at pre-Dawn and Sunset at that door a day.
STILL wondering if I'm thinking straight...and if this is respectful enough?
Opinions welcome please.
Probably another thread once decided.
scott
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Still pretty much as seen in these year old pics.
It was pretty dry already, and has warped Very little in the year it's been sitting on the footrest of one of the couches.
HAVE been doing a little chisel and probe work to loosen bark and punk inside the "Grand Canyon".
scott
Attachments
5.8.18 B BURL  BARK SIDE NOT FINAL DEPTH.jpg
5.8.18 BB TREE SIDE INITAL DEPTH.jpg
5.9.18 BB TREE SIDE 1 HOUR CLEANED.jpg
5.8.18 BB TREE SIDE GRAIN1.jpg
5.8.18 BB2 2 FUN.jpg
R.N.

dwilli9013
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 3 axis Self Designed Self Built

Post by dwilli9013 »

First off Scott my condolences for your loss.
Reading the story you just told in your post I can think of no better use for the burl. Splendid idea both in the usage and placement by your dads favorite spot. This way every time you sit by the back door the fond memories can envelope you.

I also am in the midst of creating an urn for my father in law that passed this past November. It also is created in his favorite wood which I just planed down from some rough cut hickory this past weekend. I have been instructed by my mother in law that I am to pay tribute to his beloved Chicago Cubs, his service in the Army and to Notre Dame. It is also to be built large enough for her ashes when the time comes. Probably one of the more sobering projects I have done to date. Certainly reminds one of our own mortality.

I am sure whatever choice you make it will be from your heart which is all that really matters. Peace to you and your family Scott. Thank you for sharing your memories with us. The story behind a piece makes all the difference.
Dwayne
D-Dub
Dwayne
Dwilli

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks Dwayne!
And sympathy for your own loss! Yep...sobering projects....Sounds like you got your Own work cut out for you!
So many conditions on yours, and mine is pretty much simple...I just have to have a good feeling about it when I'm done.

Thanks again for the thought Dwayne...and good luck with Your project!
Gotta mod a Delta mobile stand Now....so I can slide wheelchair underneath and actually SEE to the bottom of the "Canyon" and any chisel work that's needed.
scott
R.N.