What version do I need?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BarryGilbert
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

What version do I need?

Post by BarryGilbert »

I am attempting to import numbers into this model. Am I getting this warning because all I have is V Carve Desktop? Will Desktop Pro allow me to do so? Thank you!
Attachments
V Carve Desktop.PNG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: What version do I need?

Post by Adrian »

VCarve (any version) can only import one non-Vectric format (V3M) model. You can create multiple copies of that one model once it's imported.

Only Aspire will let you import multiple 3rd party models.

You could create the numbers using vectors and 2D toolpaths (projected onto 3D) rather than models.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

Adrian wrote:VCarve (any version) can only import one non-Vectric format (V3M) model. You can create multiple copies of that one model once it's imported.

You could create the numbers using vectors and 2D toolpaths (projected onto 3D) rather than models.
Thank you sir. My goal is to have those numbers embossed rather than pocketed. Can you point me in the direction of where I can find out more details on how to do so? Won't the vectors cut it into the model rather than leaving them embossed? I really appreciate your advice.

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

Adrian wrote:VCarve (any version) can only import one non-Vectric format (V3M) model. You can create multiple copies of that one model once it's imported.

But you can Import all the V3M 3D as Design & Make projects, correct?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

wmgeorge wrote:

But you can Import all the V3M 3D as Design & Make projects, correct?
Yes. You can import as many Vectric format (V3M) files as you want.

gkas
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Aspire, Axiom AR8 Pro+, Axiom 4.2W Laser

Post by gkas »

BarryGilbert wrote:

Thank you sir. My goal is to have those numbers embossed rather than pocketed. Can you point me in the direction of where I can find out more details on how to do so? Won't the vectors cut it into the model rather than leaving them embossed? I really appreciate your advice.
The key is surrounding the vectors for the numbers with another vector. Your pocket will be between the outside vector and your numbers. You can fancy up the numbers by rounding the edges or beveling with a v-bit.
Raised Text.jpg
Raised Texxt.crv
(789.5 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

gkas wrote:
BarryGilbert wrote:

The key is surrounding the vectors for the numbers with another vector. Your pocket will be between the outside vector and your numbers. You can fancy up the numbers by rounding the edges or beveling with a v-bit.
The attachment Raised Text.jpg is no longer available
I attempted that before and please tell me if I am doing it wrong but the finishing step that uses the ball nose cuts all the material away that I need raised. By the time I get to the V-bit step that material is gone. I am still learning the software so if there is something simple I am missing please overlook my ignorance. I truly appreciate all the help.
The attachment Raised Texxt.crv is no longer available
Attachments
Capture.PNG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Something like this?
Image 409.png
John
Maker of Chips

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

highpockets wrote:Something like this?
Image 409.png
Yes! How can I do that?

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

OK, What you need to do is place a vector around the model (you can use Create vector boundary around selected components), convert the "0" and "9" to curves.

On the Toolpath commands tab Click Setup on Material Setup and set the Model Position in Material Gap Above Model to the desired value, I used .125"

Select the boundary vector and the numbers vectors.

Create a Roughing and Finishing Toolpath, make sure to select Machine Limit Boundary Selected Vectors
Image 412.png
Image 410.png
Image 411.png
John
Maker of Chips

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

highpockets wrote:OK, What you need to do is place a vector around the model (you can use Create vector boundary around selected components), convert the "0" and "9" to curves.

On the Toolpath commands tab Click Setup on Material Setup and set the Model Position in Material Gap Above Model to the desired value, I used .125"

Select the boundary vector and the numbers vectors.

Create a Roughing and Finishing Toolpath, make sure to select Machine Limit Boundary Selected Vectors
Image 412.png
Image 410.png
Image 411.png
Thank you! I will try this in the morning. I really appreciate your help.