New to VCarve -Tool Change question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
slsmallcraft
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts

New to VCarve -Tool Change question

Post by slsmallcraft »

Hi I'm using the Mach 3/4 arc "inches" post processor. When I try to save a job with more than one tool into one file, Vcarve gives me an error that says (in effect) "the post processor doesnt support tool changes". Which is true, I have to manually do a tool change but in my old CAM program it would save as a single file and prompt me when it was time to change tools. Can I do this in Vcarve?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: New to VCarve -Tool Change question

Post by martin54 »

Yes you can but you need to use the right post processor, you need to use the mach post processor that has ATC in the name :lol: :lol: :lol:

slsmallcraft

Post by slsmallcraft »

yep, I saw that. I'll try it but I dont have an ATC....I have to change the tool manually

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The ATC post processors have the sections in them to allow for the type of tool changing you're looking for. I do it all the time on my Shopbot. I'm not familiar with the Mach3 way of doing it but from what I've read on here it's a similar process with calls to macros etc. I'm sure it's been discussed quite a few times on the forum in the past so a search should tell you what you need to do to set it up.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

I use the ATC PostProcessor for my ShopBot, as well.

I do NOT actually have a toolchanger on my machine, but the controller supports the ATC routine.

What this does is allow me to save all my Toolpaths to a single file. Note: You must pay close attention to Bit numbers! Each different bit used in a project must have its own unique number assigned to it. Otherwise, you could set yourself up for a bad day.

Then, when running a project, there is a pause at each bit change and its number is displayed. I change to the requested bit manually, re-Z zero and proceed. If there is another bit used, the program pauses again, etc.

So, if your controller supports ATC (but you will be changing bits manually) you will hopefully have a similar routine.
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

It's not your old cam software that prompts you it is the way you have mach3 set up, use the post processor with ATC in the name & things should work exactly as they did when using your old cam software :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Just wondering here, BUT, Maybe VCarve is actually telling you something a bit different.

If you are trying to output DIFFERENT tools into ONE program Vectric will generate an error.

You can only combine tools into one program IF the tool is the SAME tool in the toolpaths you intend to combine.

For instance if you are using a 1/4 end mill and have 2 or more toolpaths that use that SAME 1/4 inch end mill - you can combine the tool paths into one posted program.

BUT -

If you have 2 or more toolpaths and they use different cutters - vectric will generate an error when you try to combine.

edit in
AHHHH - I just reread this, and I see that the question is not what I thought.

I may well be interested in this as well.

Sorry - didn't mean to confuse
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

IslaWW
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Controller Upgrades

Post by IslaWW »

smallcraft…
There are 2 types of post processors to chose from. Single tool and Toolchange. Single tool allows combining any number of toolpaths into one file as long as they all use the same exact bit. Generate 1 cutting file for each bit.

Toolchange allows multiple tools into a single file. As many toolpaths as you need and any (some limits) number of bits can be saved into a single file. Your controller and its (usually) M6 macro will determine what happens during a toolchange. The head may traverse to a rack or rotary carousel and pneumatically change out the tool, or it could simple move the head to a convenient location to allow you to manually change a bit, then provide a way for you to set that bit to the workpiece or table.

The differences between all of these methods are what your controller supports and what code is in the M6 macro.
Gary Campbell
GCnC Control
ATC & Servo Controller Controller Upgrades
GCnC411 (at) gmail.com

slsmallcraft

Post by slsmallcraft »

Thanks to everyone who replied. I will use a Post Processor that supports ATC even though I do manual changes. (in fact Masso provided a pp for VCarve that is optimized for their controller). The controller software allows for an x-y position for the manual change and to locate the touch plate. Should work just fine.

Dan