Depth of V carve letters

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
apopj
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XXL

Depth of V carve letters

Post by apopj »

Hello all,

Is there a way to limit the depth of cut when V carving letters? I am attempting to cut names into a 1/4" piece of wood. I pocket a .2" deep pocket for the glass to fit in, then I attempt to V carve a name into the bottom of the pocket. Whether I use a 60' or a 90' V carve bit, it either cuts through the wood and into the wasteboard, or cuts so deep the letters blend together. I have tried to space the letters further apart, but since I am in a limited area, I can only go so far apart.

So, if I am using a 1/4" piece of wood, cut a pocket to .15 inches, how do I V carve letters shallow enough that they won't cut through the coaster? I have tried to zero the Z axis above the board, but that is hit or miss and I waste a lot of wood trying to get it right. Surely there is a way to tell the controller to only cut to 1/16" or so. And, setting the flat bottom doesn't seem to do much either, as the bit still cuts through the wood.

Thanks for the help...

Jeff

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Depth of V carve letters

Post by martin54 »

If you tick the flat depth check box you can set the max depth of cut, this tutorial helps to explain vcarve toolpath

http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V9 ... rks=vcarve

mark-s
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: diy 4 X 4 CNC Router

Post by mark-s »

For a shallow engrave I use Quick engraving tool path set at .05 should be about 1/32 inch or so.
mark-s

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Instead of us spinning our wheels trying to figure out your problem how about posting a CRV file that you claim fails so that we me be able to diagnose that? I and others have v-carved plenty of letters and other things in various thicknesses of material without issue.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Yes posting a file is normally helpful & if for copyright reasons that is not possible then a couple of screenshots can help. :lol: :lol:

I use the flat depth option quite a bit without any issus, always cuts to the depth specified. What does the toolpath preview look like? Is that carving all the way through the board?
The toolpath preview is very accurate so if it doesn't show the material getting cut all the way through then the problem lies will almost certainly be somewhere else & not with the vcarve file :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »