Model of CNC Machine: Router

Re: Bad poplar board

Post by Dan m »

Thank you Michael!

Dan m
Model of CNC Machine: Router

Post by Dan m »

Rcnewcomb wrote:It cuts better when the bit is turning the correct direction. I've been working with CNC machines for 14 years but this is the first time I've dealt with this error.
GreenManIMG_0557.jpg
That turned out very nice great job! I really like the color of the wood, are you going to just leave it natural and seal it?

I personally like poplar as a option to pine when you're looking for some cheaper material and want to just grab something from Lowes or Home Depot. It also seems to take stain really well.

Dan

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

OK. Poplar is back in my useable list
PoplarChiroC.png
PoplarChiro.png
PoplarJesus.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

Samples look very nice, I use popular a lot when doing trail cuts, no problems if you condition it before
stainng it. ( nice carvings) Jerry

edcasati
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds OX variant

Post by edcasati »

FWIW, I have had some luck with Poplar and 3D carving as long as I avoid going with the grain. Carving at a 45 degree angle to the grain seems to work very well. It doesn't hold detail very well, so running a depth of 3mm or more, as you would do on a simple sign is a good choice for this largely knot free and inexpensive wood.

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Thank you for your feedback and info, Ed!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

kp91
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Digital Wood Carver

Post by kp91 »

Poplar has always been a favorite. The biggest reason was for the longest time I had more poplar than I could ever use. The price makes it a favorite wood for 'giveaway' projects, like these for a Church Summer Bible school.

I have made many of these benches out of Poplar with engravings on the top, and in most cases the owners have decided not to paint them, but let the colors stand as is.

It can be fuzzy, especially in the humid summer of Virginia, but with a sharp cutter it works out OK in the end.
Attachments
Bible verse benches for summer Bible school
Bible verse benches for summer Bible school
IMG_20160723_152310380_HDR.jpg
13962721_10208644923698378_1476294853498892443_n.jpg
Doug
1 John 1:9
Fredericksburg, VA

Jim_in_PA
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR-44 (MacOS user)

Post by Jim_in_PA »

mtylerfl wrote:Poplar .... I also don’t like boards that have the all to common “green-ish” coloration. .
Note that the greenish color of the Tulip Poplar heartwood turns brown with exposure oxidation.

Like poster kp', I have used a ton of tulip poplar (most milled on my property) and while I agree it's not the best for some CNC work, it's still a very nice species to work with as it can mimic other more expensive close-grained hardwoods with a "good dye job" and finish. It can also mimic pine nicely with the more knotty, lower grade boards but is stronger/harder than pine.

I often use poplar for test pieces on the CNC where I need to check for tweaks before committing to expensive material.