New to VCarve...Toolpath Question

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
slsmallcraft
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts

New to VCarve...Toolpath Question

Post by slsmallcraft »

Basic question...still waiting on my machine. My router won't have an automatic tool change. When I create a project I understand that each different tool in my project will require a separate "tool path file" (G code). What physically happens when the machine completes the tool path and I need to manually change the tool? I'm assuming the machine will return to home or zero. I manually change the tool and execute a Macro (or something) to run the touch plate auto zero routine. I then execute the next tool path.

Does that sound correct?

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Re: New to VCarve...Toolpath Question

Post by ger21 »

That would depend on the macro you are using. With a simple auto zero macro, yes, that's basically it.
I use a two plate system that automatically measure the tool after you change it and continues cutting.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

Ger21 (Gerry) did not quite tell you the whole story. He is being modest.

IF you are running Mach3 he has a "screenset" that will allow you to run either single tool jobs or multiple tool jobs without having to run separate files and mess around manually zeroing to a plate each time. Even though I do not use it very often because of the kind of work I do when I have it works really, REALLY well.

In addition his "screenset" for Mach3 makes life way simpler on the machine. Even though I really like Mach3, IMHO the standard interface leaves a whole lot to be desired. Gerry has fixed that. Not sure what he is charging now, but when I bought it the cost was $20. I have saved way more than that on aspirin alone.

And no, Gerry does not pay me a commission.

Edit: One of the things I like about Ger21's method is that the reference plate can be positioned anywhere on table. When I have used it I put the block pretty close to where I am cutting so the machine is not running all over the place for each tool change.

Here is a screenshot of his "screenset 2010":
Capture.JPG
Note: Gerry G. Was Not Aware of This Advertisement
Last edited by TReischl on Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

It also depends on the machine and the controller . Some manufactures, like Camaster using WinCNC, have features like "Fast Tool Change" that allow one to combine the toolpaths into one file and then move the gantry to the home position and prompt for a tool change, measure the tool with a preset switch, and continue cutting.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As the others have said without more detail about the hardware & software you are using it isn't really possible to give you the correct answer so it's not such a basic question :lol: :lol:

slsmallcraft
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts

Post by slsmallcraft »

Thanks for the information. I'm buying a CNC Router Parts 4x8 router table. I've ordered their NEMA 23 DIY kit that is based on the Leadshine stepper control. I'm not using Mach 3/4, but have built the control around the Masso controller. So, the question may be more in their wheelhouse? The panel is built and I'm jogging motors....just waiting on the machine at this point. Thanks again, guys!
Dan

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Yeah, you'll need to ask Masso, or find others using it, and see how they go about it.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com