Will you look at this file please?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BarryGilbert
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

Will you look at this file please?

Post by BarryGilbert »

Will someone please take a look at this file and see if you can tell me why the "Rays" at the top won't show up when I try to render the cut? I traced the entire image but had to add the rays on my own using the draw line tool. Those rays seem to be the only thing that won't show up on the cut. What am I doing wrong?

Many Thanks

#StillLearning
Attachments
Kappa Alpha 24x24.crv
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 104 times

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Will you look at this file please?

Post by garylmast »

If you V-Carve, it won't recognize open vectors. Try the profile "on" the vectors.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

garylmast wrote:If you V-Carve, it won't recognize open vectors. Try the profile "on" the vectors.

Thank you! Any way you can send me a screen shot of what you mean? It's not where I thought to look. Or do you mean to use a profile on the open vectors only?

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Select ALL vectors. If you V-Carve, it will ignore any open vectors. All the "Rays" are open vectors. A profile cut will carve all vectors. Depending on what bit you use and the depth of cut will determine the outcome.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

garylmast wrote:Select ALL vectors. If you V-Carve, it will ignore any open vectors. All the "Rays" are open vectors. A profile cut will carve all vectors. Depending on what bit you use and the depth of cut will determine the outcome.

Understood...Thank you!

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

BarryGilbert wrote:Will someone please take a look at this file and see if you can tell me why the "Rays" at the top won't show up when I try to render the cut?
The file you posted has no toolpaths so I wonder what "the cut" is? Was it a v-carve/engraving toolpath?

The suggestions so far have been to profile everything on the line. How about this: profile, on the line, the rays only and do "the cut" that you previously mentioned for the rest of the shield.

Steven

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

adze_cnc wrote:
BarryGilbert wrote:Will someone please take a look at this file and see if you can tell me why the "Rays" at the top won't show up when I try to render the cut?
The file you posted has no toolpaths so I wonder what "the cut" is? Was it a v-carve/engraving toolpath?

The suggestions so far have been to profile everything on the line. How about this: profile, on the line, the rays only and do "the cut" that you previously mentioned for the rest of the shield.

Steven
Thanks Steven,
When I changed the rays to a end mill bit .032 they became a tool path even though it kept warning me that they are open vectors. I was attempting to use the V-bit to avoid a tool change. Why will it not work with a V-bit? What is the difference? Sorry, I just don't know.

ezurick

Post by ezurick »

BarryGilbert wrote: Thanks Steven,
When I changed the rays to a end mill bit .032 they became a tool path even though it kept warning me that they are open vectors. I was attempting to use the V-bit to avoid a tool change. Why will it not work with a V-bit? What is the difference? Sorry, I just don't know.
Barry, not sure why you are still having issues. First, group the rays separate from the rest of the vectors so it will be easier to work with.... it takes some time, but believe me, it is worth it. Then vcarve toolpath a 60 degree v bit of everything except the rays, with a flat depth of something like .08". Then set a profile toolpath on the rays with the 60 degree v bit of .08" depth. Easy peasy!

I tried to do that and upload it, but it is too large with the toolpaths. This dumb 3mb limitation is ridiculous. I zipped it up and it is STILL too large. So, you'll have to figure it out.

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

ezurick wrote:
BarryGilbert wrote: Thanks Steven,
Barry, not sure why you are still having issues. First, group the rays separate from the rest of the vectors so it will be easier to work with.... it takes some time, but believe me, it is worth it. Then vcarve toolpath a 60 degree v bit of everything except the rays, with a flat depth of something like .08". Then set a profile toolpath on the rays with the 60 degree v bit of .08" depth. Easy peasy!

I tried to do that and upload it, but it is too large with the toolpaths. This dumb 3mb limitation is ridiculous. I zipped it up and it is STILL too large. So, you'll have to figure it out.
Oh no, don't misunderstand, I have already cut it using the instructions you and others provided. I just had to run it as two tool paths. I just didn't understand why the program wouldn't cut an open vector with a V-Bit but does with an end mill. That's all.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

BarryGilbert,

When using V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath only closed vectors can be used to cut. When using the profile toolpath open and closed vectors can be used to cut. This is the way that V-Carve has been designed by its programmers.

Closed Vector - Is a vector which is a closed vector with no open ends. Example: Circles, squares, rectangles, slots, ellipses, etc... A straight line has open ends it is not a closed vector.

You may use whatever you heart desires on a profile toolpath to achieve the desired affect you are looking for. Example: V-bit for creating the rays (individual lines (vectors)) of the sun.

Try using the profile Toolpath with profile "on" using the desired v-bit you want to use. Be sure to include a desired cutting depth (c) for your Rays!

Hope this explanation helps!
Have a GREAT DAY!

Shark Cutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

BarryGilbert

Post by BarryGilbert »

sharkcutup wrote:BarryGilbert,

When using V-Carve/Engraving Toolpath only closed vectors can be used to cut. When using the profile toolpath open and closed vectors can be used to cut. This is the way that V-Carve has been designed by its programmers.

Closed Vector - Is a vector which is a closed vector with no open ends. Example: Circles, squares, rectangles, slots, ellipses, etc... A straight line has open ends it is not a closed vector.

You may use whatever you heart desires on a profile toolpath to achieve the desired affect you are looking for. Example: V-bit for creating the rays (individual lines (vectors)) of the sun.

Try using the profile Toolpath with profile "on" using the desired v-bit you want to use. Be sure to include a desired cutting depth (c) for your Rays!

Hope this explanation helps!
Have a GREAT DAY!

Shark Cutup
Thank you that does help. I see now where everyone is/was telling me that and I guess I had it in my head that profile toolpath meant that it strictly had to be a bit "other than" a VBit. I really do appreciate this help guys. Sorry for being a little dense.