Fonts (Free)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
BarryGilbert
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

Fonts (Free)

Post by BarryGilbert »

I needed a different font last week and ran into this site and it had so many I just thought I'd share it.
I have no affiliation to the site and know nothing other than I downloaded a free font. Just trying to bring something here other than my "beginner" questions.

https://www.1001freefonts.com/

Barry

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Fonts (Free)

Post by martin54 »

Just a word of warning Barry, free fonts can cause you lots of problems, many contain loops, cross overs etc that don't matter when printing but cause all sorts of problems when cutting on a vinyl plotter or when using for CNC work.
No reason not to use them if you are aware of this & know how to sort the problems, I tend not to use them myself but that is just personal choice :lol: :lol:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Anyone compiled a list of good fonts to use for V-Carve? Hard to find good fonts without really sharp corners in the M and W'.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Letterheads sells top quality fonts that work very well.

- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

BarryGilbert
Model of CNC Machine: CAMaster Stinger 2

Post by BarryGilbert »

martin54 wrote:Just a word of warning Barry, free fonts can cause you lots of problems, many contain loops, cross overs etc that don't matter when printing but cause all sorts of problems when cutting on a vinyl plotter or when using for CNC work.
No reason not to use them if you are aware of this & know how to sort the problems, I tend not to use them myself but that is just personal choice :lol: :lol:

Thank you Sir. I had no idea. I appreciate the heads up.

mickecarlsson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CNC 6040, Vectric Aspire, UCCNC

Post by mickecarlsson »

I have downloaed more than 10 fonts from that site, none have had any issues that could not be solved. Just weld the font, then cut out the parts that are unwanted.
My army sign, the Tea Box and some other work (not posted here) have all had free fonts.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

mickecarlsson wrote:I have downloaed more than 10 fonts from that site, none have had any issues that could not be solved. Just weld the font, then cut out the parts that are unwanted.
My army sign, the Tea Box and some other work (not posted here) have all had free fonts.
As I said above, no reason not to use them, but worth knowing that there are potential problems with some so when you don't get the results you expect in the toolpath preview you know where to look for the problem. Yes the problems can be sorted as you know yourself.
I don't tend to use them myself because I have a lot of fonts which have been purchased over many years working as a signmaker with cut vinyl & digital print, i ran a business & often free fonts are not to be used for commercial use. I know people do but I just didn't want to take the chance, as I said personal choice.
The other thing I found was that it made it more difficult for other signmakers to copy my work :lol: :lol: :lol:

newmexico
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by newmexico »

The other thing I found was that it made it more difficult for other signmakers to copy my work
+1

jerry carney
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: shopbot desktop

Post by jerry carney »

I have used many free fonts with no problems, But Letter Head Fonts is the best. FYI Jerry

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I have used both FREE and LETTERHEADS.

Not all letterheads fonts are good for V-Grooving or engraving.

Not all FREE fonts are good for V-Grooving or engraving.

Nice thing is after converting to curves any font can be changed to create a "unique" font.

Letterhead has some really nice stuff, but it is pricy, and it is good stuff.

I just use what will fit the bill.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

I just use what will fit the bill.

And that just about sums it up, use what ever works best for you & the job you are doing, be that free, an existing font on your system or a paid for font. funny thing is that I have thousands of different fonts on my system & I probably don't genrally use more than a dozen of them :lol: :lol: :lol: