Measure along curve

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
dsherburn

Measure along curve

Post by dsherburn »

I've created a large curve (Bezier curve, not an arc). Is there anyway to determine where an 8' point will be on that curve. I've used the measuring tool and it will give me lengths, but being the curve is made up of so many segments (the tool just measures segments not the overall curve) it's hard to see where exactly 8' will land along the curve.
Thanks! Dan

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Measure along curve

Post by adze_cnc »

Does the "Span / Contour Properties” of the meaure tool help? https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V9.0/VCar ... 0Tool.html

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

Try grouping the segments together, then measure it. Another way, draw a line at one end, then offset it 8'.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Well this may not be perfect, but it should get you close.... It would be nice to be able to hold down the shift key on the measurement tool and have it add up the segments as you click on them.

Hope this helps....
Starting curved shape
Starting curved shape
Create a small circle.
Create a small circle.
Using the Copy along vectors tool.
Using the Copy along vectors tool.
Select the circle then the curved vector. Set the Distance between copies to 1" (or 1' in your case), make sure to uncheck Force even spacing.
Select the circle then the curved vector. Set the Distance between copies to 1" (or 1' in your case), make sure to uncheck Force even spacing.
Image 380.png
John
Maker of Chips

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Very creative method, John!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

highpockets wrote: It would be nice to be able to hold down the shift key on the measurement tool and have it add up the segments as you click on them.
That's what the Perimeter value on the Measure tool is in this case. The sum of all the segments.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Adrian wrote:
highpockets wrote: It would be nice to be able to hold down the shift key on the measurement tool and have it add up the segments as you click on them.
That's what the Perimeter value on the Measure tool is in this case. The sum of all the segments.
Yes, but if you don't want the full Perimeter as in this case, you'd have to add each segment length up on paper to find a length close to 8'.
John
Maker of Chips

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

>>hold down the shift key on the measurement tool and have it add up the segments as you click on them.

Depending on the number of segments, in most cases, it would probably be quicker to cut the vector, (once for an open vector, or twice for an closed vector).
Use the Perimeter value on the form, then Ctrl+z (once or twice) to re-close the vector.

Cheers,

Mark.

slsmallcraft
Model of CNC Machine: cncrouterparts

Post by slsmallcraft »

(from dsherburn, I've changed the user name...)
Highpockets gave me a good, quick, practical fix. I put circles every 12" along the curve and I can see exactly where the 8' sheet will end when wrapping. Perfect! thank you...
Dan