Tool path Help

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FoothillFurniture
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 Avid Pro

Tool path Help

Post by FoothillFurniture »

Not new to CNC, but new to VCarve. I have imported an .stl file of a spoon. I want to cut it double sided, but when I bring it in I have to choose where to split it in 2 parts. It seems like right in the middle (Z axis) would be the way to go, but when I do this the tool path doesn't cut to the bottom of the spoon bowl. But, if I set it to the bottom to where it cuts out the whole bowl then when I do the 2nd side it doesn't get the curved back part of the spoon handle. How do I get these tool path's to get to all part of this model?

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 12.35.49 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 12.36.01 AM.png
www.foothillcustomfurniture.com

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Re: Tool path Help

Post by mtylerfl »

Hi,

This video tutorial will help you with the steps for setting up your project so it will cut properly:

https://release.vectric.com/lovespoon
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

When you import the model, Hit Center Model button. Slide the Scroll Bar until the Plane hits the lowest part of the model to be UNDERCUT. Take that different between that number and center number and put into the Overcut distance Box. Make sure Create Both Sides is checked. Then hit OK.

The undercut number will show in the component properties of the Limit Plane as a Negative number. You will have a Limit Plane on both sides. If for some reason one side's undercut is deeper than the other, you can adjust that amount in the Component Properties section. Also, that number should always be a negative number to avoid doing a profile cut, however you will need to add tabs under the TAB LEVEL.

Gary
Attachments
Undercut.JPG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

In Beki's LoveSpoon tutorial she's using some Weave Clipart that I'm not finding in my Clipart folder. I went to my Portal and re-downloaded the Weave Clipart pack and reinstalled it, but I'm still missing the weave Beki is using in the tutorial as well as some others that are showing in her Clipart Weave folder.
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Have you downloaded the project files John? I have that project on a USB stick from the user group meeting last year so not checked my portal account for it. I just know some of the tutorials have the files fopr download so maybe this is the same :lol: :lol:

FoothillFurniture
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 4x8 Avid Pro

Post by FoothillFurniture »

Thanks for the help guys, got it figured out now.
www.foothillcustomfurniture.com

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

martin54 wrote:Have you downloaded the project files John? I have that project on a USB stick from the user group meeting last year so not checked my portal account for it. I just know some of the tutorials have the files fopr download so maybe this is the same :lol: :lol:
Martin,
Yes I downloaded the project, there's only a crv3d file....
John
Maker of Chips

highpockets
Vectric Wizard

Post by highpockets »

FoothillFurniture wrote:Thanks for the help guys, got it figured out now.
Glad you got it figured out...
John
Maker of Chips