Issue with opening and importing ai. File

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Issue with opening and importing ai. File

Post by adze_cnc »

Mikehell wrote:V-Carve will choke on Illustrator "creative cloud" versions.
What version of VCarve? I import CC Illustrator files daily and have no problems. Have been doing so, at least, since v8 of VCarve.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Mikehell wrote:I have lots of problems with DXF. The size cones in wrong
If the original file has a scale attached to it I can see why. I find this is common with programs such as Solidworks (SW). If you create a drawing file with SW and use an existing templated page the DXF or DWG file comes out scaled.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

adze_cnc wrote:
What version of VCarve? I import CC Illustrator files daily and have no problems. Have been doing so, at least, since v8 of VCarve.
Probably works fine if you're the one doing the file in Illustrator. I've had people give me an AI cc files that won't open right. I think it has something to do with the layers.

I wish it had a Corel draw import filter.

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

adze_cnc wrote:
Mikehell wrote:I have lots of problems with DXF. The size cones in wrong
If the original file has a scale attached to it I can see why. I find this is common with programs such as Solidworks (SW). If you create a drawing file with SW and use an existing templated page the DXF or DWG file comes out scaled.
I don't use solidworks. I'm just going from experience on files people have given me. I think they're doing them in other software.

Lots of Mac people using other software because they refuse to use Windows.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Mikehell wrote:
adze_cnc wrote:
Probably works fine if you're the one doing the file in Illustrator. I've had people give me an AI cc files that won't open right. I think it has something to do with the layers.

I wish it had a Corel draw import filter.
If you have problems with ai files that others have created then just do what I do & ask them to supply files in EPS format, not a problem for them to export to EPS & not a problem for you to import :lol: :lol:

Not quite so easy with DXF as most CAD programs won't export as EPS, by CAD programs I mean programs like Autocad, I don't class programs like illustrator & corel as CAD because I think they were originally designed more for Desk top publishing where something like Autocad was designmed more for technical type drawing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Right or wrong that's my take on it lol