Some setting is wrong

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Some setting is wrong

Post by Rubiconlwb »

On my newest project, a setting is off somehow I don't know how it changed but it was definitely wrong. When a tool is picked up for a move to another cut (as in moving from one letter of a sign to another letter), it is not being picked up enough. There are tiny scratches that show up on the workpiece. Could somebody tell me which setting is causing this problem? I have no idea how this got changed as this is the first time that it has been a problem.

jimwill2
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CaMaster Stinger w/recoil, FTC

Re: Some setting is wrong

Post by jimwill2 »

If you go to the "toolpaths" tab and click "Material Setup" you can change the rapid-z and the Home-z settings.
Jim Williams

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As well as checking your radid z settings you might want to check your spoilboard is flat & parallel to the gantry & your spindle is trammed correctly. :lol: :lol:

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

jimwill2 wrote:If you go to the "toolpaths" tab and click "Material Setup" you can change the rapid-z and the Home-z settings.
Which of these settings will make the change I need to accomplish?

Rubiconlwb
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Rubiconlwb »

martin54 wrote:As well as checking your radid z settings you might want to check your spoilboard is flat & parallel to the gantry & your spindle is trammed correctly. :lol: :lol:
I don't use a spoilboard unless I am cutting through the wood I am machining. I don't know what 'spindle is trammed correctly' means. All the other projects I have done raise the proper amount when moving over the board. This one is obviously wrong and I don't know what changed.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

he z1 setting is the one you are looking to increase, this is the height the machine rapids at above the material when moving from one position to another while cutting :lol:
Traming is ensuring the spindle is parallel to your table, will try & find a good explanation as I am not always great at explaining things :lol:
setup.PNG

scubanimal
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Stinger1 24, Shark HD2 Pro, Aspire,

Post by scubanimal »

Hello,
I see that you have a Piranha, that has a fairly ridge gantry so likely your trammed right, but your board may not be parallel, meaning that if your board is not perfectly flat and level that could cause issues especially if you're using the engraving tool path. Likely your issue is the rapid Z setting is not set high enough. So if you are doing your based on your bed verses the top of your material, and you have your rapid Z set too small (i.e. not enough clearance between the tool and the material) that would cause it. That setting is exactly where Martin54 showed it.
You want to have some space between the tool and the material when you move the gantry to the next position.
May I suggest you post your Material setup image, which is from the same panel you do your toolpathing?
You may want to post your .TAP files if that does not produce the answer to your question.

V/R,
Ian