This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Re: .5" Acrylic speeds?

Post by Bob Jr »

Martin,
Would you please expand upon this thought. It's really getting interesting:
"Oh & double check what material you are cutting, big difference in cutting acrylic & polycarbonate"
Thank you,
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Bob, this is only based on my personal experiences, I work as a signmaker & have to take more care cutting polycarbonate on every bit of equipment I use not just the CNC. I have a wall panel saw for cutting sheet material, have negative rake blades for cutting aluminium & plastics but always need to take more care cutting polycarbonate than either aluminium or acrylic. Same with hand power tools, more problems with polycarbonate whan acrylic doing anything other than drilling. Drilling is actually easier in polycarbonate probably because it is less brittle :lol: :lol:
I don't know a lot about the manufacture of either plastic or what goes into them but I do know that their properties are very different which means I have to treat them differently when cutting. I use the same bits but different feed settings, I also have to be much more careful to ensure that the cut chips are removed from the cutting area, don't know how they compare when it comes to melting point but polycarbonate seems to want to reweld far more easily than acrylic.
I experimented with edge lit some time ago & had trouble with polycarbonate for 3D type work & engraving using an engraving bit, basically anything where the spindle was running & more heat was being generated. Engraved OK with a drag bit where the spindle isn't turning but I wouldn't use it personally for anything edge lit because it scratches far more easily than acrylic so not only you but the customer have to take a lot more care & I also don't personally think the light transmittion through it is as good, might be just me but the acrylic ones always seemed to be better :lol: :lol:

I aviod using it when possible, prefering to use acrylic but on occassions I have to use it because the job calls for it (polycarbonate is more impact resistant) & it has a class 1 fire rating (UK thing) where acrylic has a class 3 fire rating & is less impact resistant making it less vandal resistant :lol: :lol:

Bob Jr
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom, Shark

Post by Bob Jr »

Thank you Martin,
I use polycarbonate once in a while. I'm just curious to see what other challenges there are, and what to do about them.
One thing I learned about drilling polycarbonate on a drill press is to always use clamps. You can get one whompin' catch if the work is not secured!
I appreciate your response.
Bob
"Be accurate."
W. Tell