Problem caused by power glitch

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Problem caused by power glitch

Post by redwood »

I'm making a sign for a client from his 50" x 20" cedar slab. Everything was going fine. I pocketed the slab where needed and had run a rough finish path. About 1/2 way through the 3D finish path there was a power hiccup and the spindle stopped spinning but everything else kept going. When the hiccup happened, I looked from a distance and everything looked like it wasn't affected. A little while later I got closer and saw that the spindle wasn't spinning a just dragging the 1/16" tapered ball nose over the model. Well that sucked, to say the least.

So how do I fix it? I'm thinking that I can just set the gap above the model a little greater and that would go back over everything just a little deeper. Does that sound right? Any other ideas?
Danny's slab problem2.jpg
Danny's slab problem.jpg
Mark
Pioneer, CA

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: Problem caused by power glitch

Post by highpockets »

That should work.

You might check out this thread to prevent it from happening in the future. http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php? ... 54#p155254

I've used this trick since my original post and it's saved me several times.
John
Maker of Chips

redwood
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Axiom Pro6

Post by redwood »

Thanks John, your fix is probably a little technical for me. My whole system runs off of a 220V supply line and my spindle is a 3 HP unit. Normally something like this wouldn't concern me. 99.9% of the time, I'm suppling the materials and the cost to replace would be minimal. This was a good size slab.

It's not so funny, but I knew we were going to have a extended period of bad weather when I won't run my machine. I was planning to stop before running the 3D finish toolpath and continue when the weather improved. Well at the last moment, I decided to push on and try to finish it. It would have been done about 2AM. The hiccup was literally a flicker. We have had over 3' of snow in the last 1 1/2 weeks, in a area that get's about a foot a year. In the middle of that, we had 5" of rain. Without that rain in the middle to melt the first batch of snow, I probably would never get out of my place.
Mark
Pioneer, CA

wmgeorge
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Workbee 1000x750 Mach 4 PMDX Controller

Post by wmgeorge »

That sucks. The same thing can happen to me as my control system is on 120 volts and my spindle takes 240 single phase and through a VFD. Some VFD's and I think mine has it, have an output so if the drive faults out for some reason it can trigger the controller to shut down and stop running the program. I have an Hitachi something but its rated at 3 Hp.